CA. and ALK.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How in a day do you dose? this $#!+ is getting out of hand...
I dose 5.2 grams of soda ash everyday
and 27 grams of cal. chloride every 2 days

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use saturated lime water (kalkwasser), It raises both calcium and alkalinity at the same time, so no need to dose both, then I give the tank a big swig of mag.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tyler I totally hear you bro, but I am terrified of some of the horrror stories I have heard and read. Phil know a guy who nuked his tank in a matter of hours. I'm not sure I'll even ever use a dosing pump for ca and alk. I test every two days to stay on track. then dose in grams with RODI. this is the only tank I have ever kept everything in line and even made monthly graphs. I would love to be able to say that I had almost perfect parameters for a whole year. Gale LMK if you maybe wanna split some 5gal BRS CAL,ALK, and MAG I',m pretty sure that stuff dosent go bad

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;88795 said:
IMO-Calc reactors can cause more issues than they fix.
I agree with this statement if the CA reactor is stand alone. I have so many failsafes with my controller it would be near impossible for it to crash my tank.

The regulator is controlled by PH to turn on and off. If the PH in the main tank drops below 8.0 then my feed pump shuts off. Here is my code:
Regulator
If pH2 > 06.65 Then ON
If pH2 < 06.45 Then OFF
If pH < 08.00 Then OFF

Feedpump
If Switch1 CLOSED Then OFF
If pH < 08.00 Then OFF
If pH2 < 06.30 Then OFF

My main pump which pumps water from the sump to the display also shuts off if the PH drops below 8 and uses the same statement as the last one. So even if my regulator and feed pump fail their programming then the only thing getting tons of CO2 would be my sump.

Then I have email and text message alerts..here are the values that would pertain to the CA reactor, so I am notified right away if anything is wrong
If pH > 08.40 Then ON
If pH < 08.00 Then ON
If pH2 > 07.00 Then ON
If pH2 < 06.25 Then ON

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
What kind of numbers are you running for PH, Ca, Alk, and Mag?

I just spent a couple of days cramming buffer and acid, Ca, Alk, and Mag equations and ratios into my brain. (Thanks Jon! :) )

If you are having difficulty maintaining levels, you may have Organic Acid buildup, too high of a Carbonate to BiCarb ratio, or just a plain old imbalance of some kind.