cleaning dry live rock

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's the best way to clean dry live rock

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Put it in the sun for a few weeks, then a day in a bucket of muriatic acid water, then a day in a bucket of water with prime in it, then maybe some more Sun drying

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
A good washing in muratic acid will clean off most of the dead material

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Then I usually put it in a tank on its own with a piece of live rock from my current tank and cook it for a few months, getting the good bacteria to colonize all of the rock

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's a good idea but I don't want to wait for months lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
well one way or another, with dry rock, you are going to be waiting months. You could wash in muratic acid, rinse with ro, set in sun for a week or so and then put in the tank, but doing it that way will make your cycle take several months before the tank will stabilize to the point that you can put the first few things in. Doing it blazinjack's way will actually save you quite a bit of time.
Of course the fastest way all around would be to start with live rock

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So should i put a couple of pounds of live rock ?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
well it still gonna take it quite some time to cure the dry rock if you going to use it too. You could start your take with just live rock in it, cure the dry rock as suggested and then add the dry rock later on once it is cured. May still trigger a mini cycle though once you add it