De-humidifier

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Its come time to finally install a de-humidifier for the house. Have a few businesses coming to provide some quotes, but just checking here too. Anyone else had a de-humidifier installed before and/or have someone you would recommend for the job?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not be cheeky, but do you not have AC?

We have to add humidity to the air. Our windows are constantly open, though.

The last few weeks have had more humidity, though.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I have central air. In previous years Just running the AC and opening windows worked great and we were able to maintain around 40-45% that way. This year though I can't get it under 60% to save my life. Even with AC running and opening windows at night it still sits at 60-65% and wont budge from that. My sump even has a hood cover that has vents to the outside and I have fans that force most of the evap from there to the outside, but even then I still cant seem to control it anymore.

I have a stand alone de-humidifier too, and it works great in the winter, but during the summer its very counter productive because it put out a ton of heat. Its also very noisy, and since the room with the tank is also my home office that makes it pretty unbearable. The heat issue alone just makes matters worse in the summer time but is a nice benefit in the winter. The other issue is that you have empty the tray on it fairly frequently.
I could likely drill some holes and have it drain into the basin sink easy enough, but still would need a solid way to divert the heated air back outside in order to make it even remotely close to viable during the summer.

Last edited:

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Run the air and don't open the windows at night. Should get you down to 30% around here, or even lower. Humidity is the most high at night. We have to run a humidifier if we run the air or things get staticy. I would only air the house out when co2 gets above 700, but you can time this so that you pick the days to let in fresh air.

If you open the windows in the summer, then do it when the humidity is super low in the afternoon, and on low humidity days. The warmer air sucks, but it is easier to cool air than to dry it out.

We had dehumidifier in Missouri and it was an energy hog and stuff. It also put out a lot of heat, which you know. :) I would avoid it at all costs by planning your days better and/or keeping the house closed up if you can.

It looks like we turned a corner. The 10 day forcast looks a lot better than what we just went through. Lows in the 50s this time of year means dry air, usually.