Melted Zoas?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This had 5 polyps but now only one is opening and the rest and staying shut/disappearing. Is this what everyone means when they say their Zoas are melting?

Been 3 days now like this.
196 watt PC
Reef octo skimmer
2 emerald crabs and narcissus snails
Had them midway up in the tank but moved them down today in my 30
2 oc clowns and a 6 line wrasse
They're eagle eyes that I picked up 2 weeks ago, dipped and acclimated fine. One other zoa colony bought at same time is starting to do the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're ever in A town, I have some eagle eye's I can give you. Sometime zoa's melt for no reason. It sucks when it's darth maul's.... believe me, I know.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha yea that would suck. I think this is the 3rd colony in the last 4 months...luckily not expensove

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not a clue. I've had some issues w hair algae again so I cut back on feedings last week. Dosed the tank a few weeks back for flatworms and took off the carbon a week before so it could still b that. I haven't ever tested my tank but will b doing that this week to see if it's phosphates from the water or nitrates/items from dead flatworms still.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't want to loose the grow contest before it starts ;)

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You really need to measure - No3, Po4, CA, ALK and MAG are your core tests. Your crusing for disaster and wasting a lot of $ if you don't measure and keep sea water at sea water levels.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
+1 def test semi frequently until you know your tank. However I would say right now 15-20% weekly/by weekly water changes will be a savior for your 30g.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Also if you don't have all the tests take some water to your local fish store, (preferably one of our sponsors lol) as they can test everything for you.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I 20% every other week. Heading to foco tomorrow and was planning in taking water w me then.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The lightbulb turned on today, all of the melted Zoas I've had have come from the same source and all of the ones that have survived were from forum memebers

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoas just melt sometimes for no apparent reason. I hate them for that reason. I had some recently that went from 5 polyps to 30 inside 6 weeks. In one day they all melted all of my other ones are perfectly fine. Go figure. a week ago if you had pointed to them out and told me they would be the melters out of all the ones I have I would have said no way!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That stinks. Makes growing sticks a little more appealing...

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just created a new thread...went to Vince's yesterday and everything was good minus my salinity - 1.033!!!