Qt rookie question

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So after having so many fish die on me in my tank, I decided I need to qt again, I can't believe I thought I could get away without it. But anyways, I've been reading and it seems copper treats a bunch of diseases found in newly bought fish. What chemicals/treatments should I buy so that I can be ready to start the qt process?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Copper is good, I run copper in my fish only QT tanks, cant think of the brand name right now though.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Prazipro. I know a lot of people will only use copper if a fish is symptomatic because it can be hard on some species...prazipro is a fairly benign treatment and will take care of flukes and intestinal parasites. A lot of people use it prophylactically on all new fish, regardless of symptoms.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Qt rookie question

Cupramine and Copper power are two I can think of that use copper.

sent from your home

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Qt rookie question

Should I use more than one treatment if I am just making sure to get all the possible illnesses that could pop up? Or just use something like prazipro?

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Most of the time you cannot combine treatments you need to to research that google is your friend here. there is also quick cure copper works good for most diseases but dosen't work on all but only use copper or quick cure if they are needed. blue life has a quick dip that's a 2 part thing it is new I have personally never used it. Pry not a bad Idea oh and you always qt your fish.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on jahmic's advice. Copper can be really hard on fish, wrasses come to mind, so I never use it unless I see actual symtoms that require it. I also prazipro all fish, especially wrasses.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's what I do. Prazipro is effective against many parasites you can't see, notably intestinal worms and flukes. People use it prophylactically because it's extremely safe. Many people have dosed their entire reef with it.