1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Quest Lobby 560 Gallon build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MuralReef, Feb 14, 2021.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

So here we go again! With a generous donation from Doug we are looking at adding this monster to the mix in the library. The tank is 120”x36”x30”. Right now the plan is for us to have a predator tank and possibly some type of active sharks. IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4091.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

JodiI likes this.
  2. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

We need to build a stand and since our environmental department decided to toss our art teachers steel we are leaning towards a wood stand made from 4”x4”s and 2”x6”s.

JodiI likes this.
  3. MuralReef

We are going to use another tank we got last summer that was going to be set up this way which is an 8’x2’x2’ 240 gallon. We need to laminate some acrylic inside to cover the previous overflows and other random holes. Our return pump is going to be an AmpMaster Dolphin. We have two options for skimmers. One is the old Reeflo Orca from the classroom tank or an MRC skimmer. I’m leaning towards the MRC but it needs some TLC to get it sealed back up. Probably going to go with 2-8’ T-5 shop lights from the depot to keep lighting simple.

JodiI likes this.
  4. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

That is sweet.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MuralReef likes this.
  5. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I love it. The monster tank. Where naughty children and math teachers get to swim with sharks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmougey and MuralReef like this.
  6. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

that thing is HUGE! Do predator tanks have larger bio loads with more "wasteful" feedings?

7. Kayvon

Kayvon Amphipod

Hope to see some anglers in there. I bet the kids will love them

8. MuralReef

I think it’s part messy eaters plus large amounts of waste created by the larger fish.

We actually just set up a tank to house an anglerfish that we’re hoping to pick up from a fellow member here. I don’t think anglers would do well in a tank with larger predators.

rmougey likes this.
  9. MuralReef

We made some progress this week and hopefully will have it up and running in the next few weeks. [​IMG][​IMG]

Dr.DiSilicate and Angelo like this.
  10. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I have the better photos.

[​IMG]

Took 6 men and a plywood ramp to get the empty tank up onto the stand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First inhabitant.

rmougey, SynDen, MuralReef and 3 others like this.
  11. rmougey

rmougey Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

So being my paranoid self, where is cross bracing?

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  12. MuralReef

It’s coming! I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask. We’re planning to have cross bracing across the back.

JodiI and rmougey like this.
  13. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member ex-officio

Was thinking the same thing but Mike is a smart guy so I didn’t ask. Lol

JodiI likes this.
  14. Dr.DiSilicate

On another note, that tank is amazing! What lucky students your school has! I do think you should do a full blown sps tank though.

JodiI and MuralReef like this.
  15. MuralReef

Sometimes I’m smart.

SynDen and JodiI like this.
  16. Dr.DiSilicate

Well... maybe I was thinking Jodi was smart and you are a good minion.

17. JodiI

He runs his mouth too much to be a good minion.

MuralReef likes this.
  18. MuralReef

Wow! I guess I talk too much. I’m glad someone is the smart one even if it’s not me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  19. halmus

halmus Sardine Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Mike, someone has to call you out on this. Your tank isn't fit for sharks.

-PSA from your local Selachimorpha Police (yes, I had to look that word up).

JodiI likes this.
  20. MuralReef

All the research we’ve been doing suggests that we would be okay with epaulettes and/or bamboos. Not as active as what we were hoping for but they won’t get too large for the system. Which type did you think I meant? I agree most get too big and with active swimmers curved interior corners are preferred.