1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Quest Lobby 560 Gallon build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MuralReef, Feb 14, 2021.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Currently the plan. We will see they’re all pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

2. Angelo

Angelo Copepod

Dr.DiSilicate, JodiI and MuralReef like this.
  3. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

That would be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Rock started going in! Kids came in shorts on this chilly day in order to get to do this. They can’t remember to do their math homework, but they can remember to wear shorts on a Tuesday when I tell them about it a week prior. Funny how that works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We got about half of the already-wet rock in and zip tied to the pvc. The rest will go in next week. And then when they’re done, Mike and I will have to climb in there and mortar it all, fill in the gaps, and trim up the zip ties.

They’re still rinsing sand too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought we’d perhaps be ready for damsels next week, but that isn’t going to happen with more rock that needs to go in. So we’re still at least two weeks out from the starter fish.

But the kids are having a blast. They want fish club to last from school’s out (2:30) until 10:00. And hopefully, they’re getting hooked on a lifelong hobby.

5. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member ex-officio

Best thing I’ve seen all day! You guys are awesome. I love how you have so many students getting more and more involved!

MuralReef likes this.
  6. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

That is Awesome! Love it!

7. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I’m still coaching but Jodi said we had 25 kids there on Tuesday!

8. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

These kids are going to need R.A.R.E!
    Reefing. Aquarium. Resistance. Education

Love this build!

JodiI, SynDen and MuralReef like this.
  9. JodiI

More updates! In all, the rock building took three weeks. Three weeks of kids climbing in with zip ties and coaching on aquascaping techniques.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Mike climbed in and made sure all the critical joints got some mortar. We used Marco mortar, which was interesting to work with. We would do that differently next time, but it got the job done.

[​IMG]

Then yesterday, we went in to the building to get the tank completely full and running! Heaters and controllers are installed, and we had just barely enough rodi on hand to fill the tank up and add salt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now it’s officially running and the cycle is started! It’s incredibly quiet. You can’t hear the two sicce return pumps at all. The overflows drain almost completely silently. And once the stand cabinet doors are built and added, I don’t think you’ll be able to hear it running at all.

Honestly, we were the only two in the building standing and listening to it, and we could barely hear it. There’s no way it’ll be heard above the normal hustle and bustle of the school day.

rmougey, neil82, zatch and 2 others like this.
  10. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Looks great guys. That's some good team work there

MuralReef likes this.
  11. MuralReef

Things have been really coming together and Jodi has been doing a fantastic job running the school club.

12. zatch

zatch Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

looks great!

13. MuralReef

Now with lights! IMG_5481.JPG

JodiI, rmougey and zatch like this.
  14. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I LOVE THAT ARCH!!!