¡RP's 250 build!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
280g-reefman;197289 said:
+1 on steel stand. I used 1.5" pipe. A pic of it is in my 280 build thread. I did quite a bit of research and determined for a tank that size it would be perfect and it is. I used por15 to keep it from rusting out, great stuff and affordable.
Thanks, I didn't really want to powder coat. Did you just use the por15, or did you use some of the prep stuff?

that0neguy1126;197299 said:
Looks good Jamie
Thanks

Craigar;197300 said:
Why you switching stands?
I really like the idea of the steel. Besides, I question my construction ability, I trust my welding though. Mainly a security factor for me. I don't want to be watching the tele and have a tank fall over.

Let's talk RO, which membrane should I get? Google says Spectrapure or the DOW one, then says they are all the same anyways. I have a 90GPD unit, but FOCO only has ~65psi. Do I get a 75GPD flow restrictor or a booster pump to use the 90GPD?

Since I'm doing FO for now, what are some nice visually pleasing lights? I was thinking maybe, the Marineland Single Bright LED? These are going to be on display, so I don't want to do DIY.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok I better start this now, since it will be a difficult choice for me to narrow down...Fish list! I'd like help with you guys that have way more experience with these fish than I do. Before I start buying butterflies, I'd like to learn more about them and their notoriously difficult eating habits. As far as that goes, angels too.

As of now I'm not planning to house corals. Filtration will be EcoBack pellets and/or algae scrubber.

Will I need actinic lighting? Does it help bring out the colors?

* indicates fish I already have (and may need to get rid of)

Tangs:
Vlamingii
Desjardini Sailfin
Sohol
*Atlantic Blue
Yellow
Scopas

Angels:
*Pygmy Cherub
Blueface
Scribbled
French
Maculosus
Regal
Majestic

Butterflies:
Latticed
Pakistan
Saddleback
Raccoon Fasciatus
Black Back

Triggers:
Niger
Blue Throat
Red Tail
Kiri

Wrasse:
*Solor
Harlequin Tusk

Dottyback:
Neon
Sunrise

I learned me some things while reading RC; clown and undulated triggers are the devil, triggers and clowns don't really mix well, the Asfur and Emperor angels aren't really friendly once grown, mixing large angels is a crap shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;197937 said:
Everything in saltwater is a crap shoot!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
I'm trying to be more informed though.

Refined list:

There may be a few dither fish in there as well.

* indicates fish I already have.

Tangs:
Vlamingii
Desjardini Sailfin
Sohol
*Atlantic Blue
Yellow
Scopas

Angels:
*Pygmy Cherub
Scribbled
French
Regal

Butterflies:
Latticed
Pakistan
Saddleback
Raccoon Fasciatus

Triggers:
Red Tail (pair maybe?)

Wrasse:
*Solor
Harlequin Tusk

Dottyback:
Neon

All this stocking thoughts have really made me want to fill this bad boy, I've got the itch again

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally got the RO filters in. Now to connect this beast. I'm hooking it up under my sink (planning to add a drinking water tank later) and plan to run tubing under my carpet to the tank (where the ato reservoir will be). After two trips to HD, I still don't have the right connections. Turns out my sink source water is 5/8", I currently own a 1/2" tee. Any ideas on how to facilitate using what I have now (I'm trying to muscle it in currently)? The BnC isn't happy that she can't use her sink.

I have a Spectrapure 90 unit, I think it's the DI Max model. So funny thing, I replaced the old membrane (with the Spectrapure logo on it) with a new Dow Filmtech 75GPD only to find that the old membrane was also a Dow Filmtech, same model number and everything. Does Spectrapure rebrand the Dow? The interwebz also say that the 90GPD is the 60psi rating, 75GPD is the 50 psi rating.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If that thing has a di canister you shouldn't drink from it. The water comes out "hungry" and can actually take minerals from your body.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
It can, but primarily it's for the psi through the membrane.

Go get you one! There's plenty of members who have extras laying around, just don't post them up. I cost me ~$120 to get it operational again, so be aware of that.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
After a few hours, I decided to take off the braided plastic coating, after checking that the inner white hose can withstand the pressure (220psi burst). I finally got to check the Tee, it worked....until I tugged on it. Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to get the right parts. :(

Edit: couldn't sleep, made it work...no leaks! During my leak test, well I forgot about waste water, so there was one leak. I guess I'll flush the carbon filter and leave the RO flushing for tomorrow

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Update update update!!!!! How are all those sweet tangs doing that you got form Mike's tank?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Doing alright, few fights, few stitches, one less fish though. Turns out the missing 50g was enough to cause nonstop aggression between the scopas and yellow, so yellow got traded in. Still designing my sump. Still saving for a RLSS Waveline DC-10000, anyone have any leads for paying less than $300?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ¡RP's 250 build!

I saw the ATS link SMH sent me, I don't have that kind of skill. So..
View attachment 10834

It's just a TLF 150 phosban reactor with roughed up screen rolled up inside. I attached the screen to the red part of the reactor with fishing line. The screen is roughly 9x8, so 72 sq. in. isn't bad. I'm going to use the IKEA lights I bought to light this, it's a bit under powered though. I may switch to a different light, we'll see.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD