Clowninaround7474's 60g cube build

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update: 60ish lbs of sand is in!! I'm debating if I should fill it up now and add the dry rock later or if I should wait until I have my rock in place...

The plan is to get dry rock and epoxy it in the aqua scape I want it before putting it into the tank. I had some issues with falling rocks in my last tank and want to avoid that problem.

So my thought is that I could essentially start cycling the tank as is and add the dry rock later.... Right!?

It makes it so much more tempting when my neighbor has his RODI unit ready to go and buckets lined up!!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
60lbs of rock are on the way from BRS (50lbs of Fiji and 10 of Pukani)!!! I ordered it dry so I'll probably have too much but I can fill part of the sump up with rubble. I'd be filling it with h2o this weekend but will be elk hunting... So maybe next week!

I'm hoping everything fires up and runs smoothly... Again this is my first non-AIO tank.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You will love it as long as you let it cycle properly :p P.S. 60g cube is the best starting point from a nano to a big tank :p

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I'm really in no rush once the water is in it. Having worked in the business, I've seen too many people throw money away by rushing things.

I'm thinking about waiting to fill it up until I have my lights. I'm between the AI Hydra and the Radion G2. I like the Radion as it will sync with the mp10, however, we don't have a working laptop in the house (we rely on our iPads and work computers when needed... Work doesn't allow outside devices to be installed either). Since the only way to tweak settings on the Radion is with a laptop, I'll be very limited. The Hydra looks like a great unit and can be dialed in with the wireless controller. At this point I'll probably be asking for the hydra and controller for Christmas!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yah definitely go with a hydra. Make sure you go with around 80 degree lenses on it. Otherwise it will be hard to get a decent PAR on your sand bed.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got some of the wiring set up today. My previous tanks were a birdsnest of wires and I refuse to have that on this build. Got a nice surge protector and mounted it to the inside of the stand. I ran my return, heater and skimmer cords today. The only others right now will be the lights and mp10 when I get them.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks awesome man! I haven't taken the plunge out of the AIO setup yet, but when I do I'm going with a cube. Good work, looking forward to seeing it progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drip loops are there but towards the surge protector. Hard to see and these pics were right after the initial layout. Tweaks made here and there.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the 50# of Fiji and 10# of Pukani dry rock came in today... And it's about double what I will actually need!! Haha I guess I forgot about getting more when it's dry.

Anyway, I played around with it and got a pretty cool aquascape planned out. I'll be pulling the rock out and giving it a good cleaning before I put it back in and add water. I'm not using any of the Pukani as I've seen it can leach po4 into the system. I know all dry rock has that potential but I'm just not really into the idea of acid dipping my rock. So the plan is to pressure wash and scrub it completely and then epoxy some of the joints for stability.

What do you think about the scape so far? I know it will change as I pull it all back out but here is the basic concept... Sorry for the ****ty cellphone pics... I'm by no means a photographer

Left side:

Front of tank

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The "pillar" in the back really looks a lot better in person. It isn't touching any other rocks and has the potential for coral growth all the way around. No rocks touching the back or glass

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;272209 said:
Mica scape. I like the open space all around.
Thanks! I want a lot of open space for fish to swim and coral growth....

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you!! I have 2 sticks of epoxy but if that's not enough I'll hit you up