Clowninaround7474's 60g cube build

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is going to be the "Mili Pillar" haha! So far I have:

1. Bubblegum Rose Milli- this is so bright in person. Purchased from Chris at AA

2. Mango Milli- from Chris at AA

3. Palmers Milli- I have to say that under the Radion Pro this is the deepest/brightest blue I have seen. Absolutely amazing piece and my absolute favorite... Again picked this up from Chris.

This picture does not do the colors justice but all I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great! Any reason not to pop the stick off the disk (on the right) and then glue it directly to the rock? Looks like it hasn't yet encrusted to the frag disk.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to see but the frag is encrusting onto the disk. Growing quickly

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Clowninaround7474's 60g cube build

Figured I'd put an updated pic on here. I did add a very small yellow tang who is doing absolutely great in the tank. It is eating well and loves the rocks and places to swim/hide.

Everything is showing signs of growth and color on all SPS continues to get better.

Not sure why this pic came out cloudy but anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Coming along nicely! That tang will be fine for a long while. Probably need to upgrade as the corals grow sooner than the tang growing. Lol

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;297272 said:
Coming along nicely! That tang will be fine for a long while. Probably need to upgrade as the corals grow sooner than the tang growing. Lol
Thanks!! I hope that's the case. I'm anxious to see what this looks like in a year when things have grown out. Those cell phone pics just don't do the tank and colors justice...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well my wife actually came to me this weekend and asked to go to the LFS... I was shocked! Anyway she ended up falling in love with a pair of snowflake clowns which are now happy in the tank.

This will be the last fish additions to this system.

Fish list:
- 4 small blue/green chromis
- Lubbock's Wrasse
- Very small Yellow Tang
- 2 Snowflake Clowns

Everyone is happy and getting along! I'll try to get an updated photo here soon

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ugh... Battling my first round of cyano. I blame it on over feeding. I got a little carried away with the Elite reef cuisine and think that's what is the culprit. I've started feeding every other day now and been doing 5g water changes every wed and sun. It's not a terrible outbreak but it's ****ing off my zoa's. Flow can't really be increased without creating a complete sandstorm. Hopefully I can get out in front of this. I blow it off of the frags and it comes back in a matter of hours. This stuff sux

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;300273 said:
Ugh... Battling my first round of cyano. I blame it on over feeding. I got a little carried away with the Elite reef cuisine and think that's what is the culprit. I've started feeding every other day now and been doing 5g water changes every wed and sun. It's not a terrible outbreak but it's ****ing off my zoa's. Flow can't really be increased without creating a complete sandstorm. Hopefully I can get out in front of this. I blow it off of the frags and it comes back in a matter of hours. This stuff sux

How much are you feeding? Do you rinse it at all?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was feeding a piece about the size of a nickel. No rinsing but what I would do is drain off any excess water once the food was melted.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had no issues before starting that food and I just think I was feeding too much.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Cyano is part of a long term cycle IMHO. Maybe cut the feeding a bit but every tank I have started has a bit of a cyano at 9 months or so. Good husbandry and water movement has always taken care of it.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;300293 said:
Cyano is part of a long term cycle IMHO. Maybe cut the feeding a bit but every tank I have started has a bit of a cyano at 9 months or so. Good husbandry and water movement has always taken care of it.
That was my thoughts too. Either way it's frustrating and looks awful

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think its too much. I feed about a nickles worth twice a day along with a spoon full of reef chili and about a 6th of a sheet of nori. I do rinse it really well though so in reality im probably only getting a dime size worth because im sure some of the really small pieces flush out of the strainer and I don't quite get it all out of the strainer so some is wasted.

I can say with all certainty when I don't rinse it my phosphates start to creep up slowly. I still really like it though.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's your process for rinsing?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I drop the frozen piece in a pee cup with some RO water and shake it really well to melt and separate it then i dump it in a small 3" kitchen strainer and pour another cup of RO water over that then pick it out of the strainer with some tweezers.

I think Heather once told me Elite puts amino acids in their reef cuisine so that probably gets mostly rinsed away, but I dont care because I add my own amino acid supplement anyway.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;300330 said:
I drop the frozen piece in a pee cup with some RO water and shake it really well to melt and separate it then i dump it in a small 3" kitchen strainer and pour another cup of RO water over that then pick it out of the strainer with some tweezers.

I think Heather once told me Elite puts amino acids in their reef cuisine so that probably gets mostly rinsed away, but I dont care because I add my own amino acid supplement anyway.
I'll give that process a shot. Thanks Kris.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Last edited by a moderator: