djkms Ocean Adventure (detail, picture intensive)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;58704 said:
you already have a better set up than me, I don't think I've dropped anywhere near that amount in all my gathering. What do you use to ramp up/down the LEDs?

One more thing, what are using the chiller for? Does your house get really hot?
I use my Neptune Apex to ramp the lights. I do have the AI controller though encase my Neptune acts up. The Neptune also does cloud cover throughout the day. I have it set at a 1% chance for clouds for 3 minutes at a time. The lights lower intensity to 30% when a cloud is going over. Sometimes just the whites ramp down/up, sometimes just the blues, sometimes both during cloud cover. Its pretty damn cool!

I purchased the chiller because I was originally going to get a Hamilton Technology fixture with 4VHO actinics and 3 250watt Radium bulbs. Then I found the AI fixtures AFTER I purchased the chiller.

Dv3,

My wife is only rocking a 1/2Karat. The other 2 Karats went into the tank:cigar:

By the way you really dont want to know my running tally so far.. Its pretty sickening.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;58720 said:
LMAO, better hope she doesn't find out. That makes sense now. What code are you using to ramp up and down. I was trying to get the same effect going, but didn't know how.
She involves herself somewhat with the aquarium. Not to the extent of what I know/do but she knows quite a bit from watching me.

She knows the running tally. See the secret to success is seperate bank accounts. She does what she wants with her money, I do what I want with mine. It works.

Here is my code for the lights:

Blues:
Outlets:

BluLED_6_5
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet Day = OFF Then AI-Night
If Outlet Sunrise = ON Then AI-Blue
If Outlet Day = ON Then AI-Blue
If Outlet Day = ON Then AI-Storm
If Outlet Sunset = ON Then AI-SunSt

Sunrise
If Sun 240/000 Then ON
If Outlet Day = ON Then OFF

Day
If Sun 300/180 Then ON

Sunset:
If Sun 360/240 Then ON
If Outlet Day = ON Then OFF

Profiles:

AI-Night
1/2/2

AI-Blue
60/1/55

AI-Storm
55/30/3/1/0/100

AI-SunSt
60/55/1

Whites:
Outlets:

WhtLED_6_6
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet WSunrise = ON Then AI-White
If Outlet WDay = ON Then AI-White
If Outlet WDay = ON Then AI-Storm
If Outlet WSunset = ON Then AI-SetW

WSunrise
If Sun 270/-030 Then ON
If Outlet WDay = ON Then OFF

WDay
If Sun 330/150 Then ON

WSunset
If Sun 390/210 Then ON
If Outlet WDay = ON Then OFF

Profiles:

AI-White
60/0/55

AI-SetW
60/55/0

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everything looks great man!! Is that aquarium log program on the computer some sort of software bundle with the controller you bought?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;58737 said:
Everything looks great man!! Is that aquarium log program on the computer some sort of software bundle with the controller you bought?
Bought the software of $25 here:
http://www.aquariumlab.com/

So guys here is my plans and I want to know your thoughts.

I want to do a Coral Garden. Here is what I mean by that. I want to have coral along with certain macro algaes in my DT. I see everyone does mostly just coral. I vary rarely see anyone with macro algae in their DT.

I have been researching it a bit and really the only 2 things that I have found against going this route is
a: having to constantly trim back the algae so it doesn't overtake the tank
b: making sure it doesnt go sexual releasing all the nutrients back into the tank.

The only other thing I can thing of is balancing nutrients. Enough nutrients in the tank to feed the algae but not too much to stunt the growth of the corals. I figure I would have to keep my nitrates around 1ppm and phosphate around .3

I don't want to have a majority of macro and some corals in the tank. I actually just want some macros to "accent" the tank with a majority of corals. I mainly want to do SPS (I know I have a few months still before I can start stocking them) and a few LPS scattered here and there.

My fish/invert stocking list consists of
2 False Percula's (have)
2 Scarlet cleaner Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp (have)
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
Midnight/Black Nox angelfish (aware of the potential clam/coral nipping)
Dracula Goby
Helfrichi firefish
1 Male Maldives Lyretail Anthias
2 Female Lyretail Anthias
Red Mandarin
Yellowhead Jawfish

Thoughts?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You need to take some videos of the lighting when a cloud comes over....that is so cool. One of these days I'll have the cash to do that hehe.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
the bit in part b, that can crash a tank. no?

mainly SPS and a few LPS scattered?

I decided against the fire shrimp because they can eat other shrimp or cleaners or zoa's or something like that, http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1219&cid=84

edit: Underfed individuals may nip at small polyp stony corals or zoanthid colonies. Guess just keep him fat and you'll be ok

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've only heard of caulerpa causing problems by going sexual.
Having some Gracilaria, turtle grass, maidens hair, shaving brush, and some other calcerous algaes should be fine and look excellent too.
Hopefully Jon will speak up and let us know if any of the ones I listed can go sexual.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;58751 said:
the bit in part b, that can crash a tank. no?

mainly SPS and a few LPS scattered?

I decided against the fire shrimp because they can eat other shrimp or cleaners or zoa's or something like that, I'll edit this post when I find the article that stated that they do this.
It can yes. The true part that scares me going this route if it is what I decide to do. From what I understand you really have to be on top of your game so that doesnt happen. There are also signs of it going sexual before it can wipe a tank. From what I read anyways, no first hand experience.

See I got this idea because I saw some really cool videos of display refugiums on youtube and figured hey why not have that display as part of my regular tank.

I am still weighing out the risk vs reward aspect to even see if it is worth it and of course getting your opinions on it.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;58771 said:
I have no experience with this either, I was just blabbing again
Your input is much appreciated. I had scarlet shrimps before no issues of course. The fire shrimp just hides for the most part and only comes out when I am feeding. He eats pellets LOL. The ones that the fish miss he just scurries on over and picks up the leftovers. He has gotten bigger then when I first got him it seems. He has molted once and that was when I first got him. He hasnt even seemed to care about my torch in the least.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
new fishy!

Pretty stoked, got this little guy coming in tomorrow from Live Aquaria Divers Den!

I also bought a Cauliflower Colt Coral

Spaghetti Finger Leather Coral

Purple Tree Coral

I know I know, its a lot of pink. You see, if I add pink corals the wife is happy, she wanted pink in the tank so I had to do it so I can start adding the colors I want hahahaha

Tomorrow is going to be a good day!!

Edit: bahhhhh stupid live aquaria. They did NOT read my notes on my order. See here is the deal. If there is a item that sells fast (Bellus Angel for example) they say to add it to your cart and check out right away so no one else buys it first. Then they say if you want to add more to your order then to place another order and request for it to be combined in the notes. I did this. I paid for Saturday delivery on the first order and didnt pay for it on the second order because I left notes to combine the order for Saturday shipping. They just now saw the notes and said they cant ship the second order until Tuesday. I told them I cant be home Tuesday!! Anyways they did make it right by refunding my second order and free shipping on the first. Just wish they would have read my notes on the order. I did everything right like the instructed me to. Guess no coral for me.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fire shrimp do not eat other shrimp, and dont outwardly pick at corals. I am sure that there are certain circumstances that would cause them to pick at a coral, but this is also a possibility with EVERYTHING that you put in your tank.

Gale, the macros that you have suggested do not reproduce sexually and you are correct that most calcareous alages do not, the one exception to this is halimeda.

As far as the algae going sexual it is not something that is easy to to prevent. The algae produces sexual gametes when given a dark phase, and when the algae is ready to reproduce, its cell walls burst, releasing the gametes into the water column. The problem isnt necessairily with the gametes, but instead with the chemical processes that it takes to cause the cell wall to burst. This act requires a great amount of oxygen, so when the algae goes through a spawning event you can see a very drastic drop in pH that is so great it will often kill a lot of your critters. If the pH swing doesnt get them, then the release of a toxin called caulerpacin certainly can. All caulerpa produces this toxin, and releases it if damaged which is why so many of the books on the subject recommend pinching the algae before you remove it so that the algae produces a "plug" that is almost like a clot.

The other danger that keeping caulerpa in a DT is that it can encroach on your corals. The rhizoids (root like structures originating from the stolon) attach themselves to anything and everything in the tank, and can attach themselves to coral skeletons irritating the coral tissue and eventually choking it off.

If you are interested in keeping algae in your display, look into the types suggested by zooid, or consider chaetomorpha, sargassum (if you can find it).

Cheers~!
Jon

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jonthefb;59943 said:
no problem! Tank build looks good! Are those AI led fixtures above it?
Yep, I have 3 of them now, I need at least 4 (there is a bit of spotlighting). Depending on how my income tax return is next year I might just buy another 3.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those LED fixtures are pretty sweet. Seeing them last night almost has me convinced to pony up and pay for them instead of building myself.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! I am pretty fond of them myself. I ran out of profiles on my Neptune so on the day/storm setting both the whites and blues are set at a 50% intensity. I was able to remove a profile I wasn't really using so now I have 45% white and 50% blue which I setup after you left to give a better pop. I wasn't really diggin the 50/50.

Hope the snails made it ok and are doing good :D

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my Bellus came in around 11:30am on Saturday. I floated the bag for 15min (dont have a temp gun but the temp seemed about right with heat packs in the box) and drip acclimated her for 30 minutes.

After dropping her in the tank she of course darted into the rockwork and for the rest of the day she did a little pattern back and fourth through the rocks.

On Sunday she was eating (Frozen Angel Formula) and parading around the tank. She is a very active swimmer and very fun to watch!

Here is a short video of her swimming around. The video kind of sucks (taken on droid incredible which doesn't record well under blue lighting). This fish is absolutely gorgeous and I am definitely happy with my purchase!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygo2LDHsRDE