djkms Ocean Adventure (detail, picture intensive)

Very nice! Your whole set up is pretty sweet. Lots of room to try out different things. What does your fish stocking list look like?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Punjab;60376 said:
Very nice! Your whole set up is pretty sweet. Lots of room to try out different things. What does your fish stocking list look like?
Thanks!

My fish/invert stocking list consists of
2 False Percula's (have)
2 Scarlet cleaner Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp (have)
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
Bellus Angelfish (Have)
Dracula Goby
Helfrichi firefish
1 Male Maldives Lyretail Anthias
2 Female Maldives Lyretail Anthias
Red Mandarin
Yellowhead Jawfish

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;58751 said:
the bit in part b, that can crash a tank. no?

mainly SPS and a few LPS scattered?

I decided against the fire shrimp because they can eat other shrimp or cleaners or zoa's or something like that, http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1219&cid=84

edit: Underfed individuals may nip at small polyp stony corals or zoanthid colonies. Guess just keep him fat and you'll be ok
I got a real tiny, heck almost baby scarlet shrimp in today with my order and remembered this post. I put the shrimp in the middle of the tank hoping he would setup shop there. I have my fire shrimp on the far right side of the tank and he pretty much just stays there..

Well the scarlet decided to head over towards the fire's area. As soon as he made it over there the fire shrimp decided the scarlet looked interesting, possibly food. The fire shrimp started to scurry over to the scarlet. I had to intervene. Good thing these guys are easy to net, I didnt want to take a chance. I netted the scarlet and released him all the way on the other side of the tank, for his own sake I think he better stay put! We shall see tonight when I get home. Thanks for the headsup RP.

I've never really seen cleaners or fire shrimp going after each other with intent to destroy one another. I suppose it is possible though. Coral-banded shrimp and either of the other two is another story. I was shown that if you can catch the coral-banded you can simply break their big claws off to keep them from attacking your other shrimp and they'll get by just fine. They just form new ones when they molt again. Seems like a crazy idea but it works.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after reading what Rockys Pride posted I did watch carefully after introducing him. The fire shrimp scurried over to the scarlet in the same manner it does food.

The scarlet stayed on his side of the tank last night so he is still alive :p

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well first off I want to say thanks to everyone here at MASC! With the help of a few people my tank is really starting to take shape now! Here are some pictures of recent additions. FTS to come soon.
[attachment=59295:name]

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. I did notice my Bellus Angel has a little tasting for my green palys :( She hasn't touched any other of my corals but if she gets a taste for anything else I am afraid she might have to go. O well guess thats the risk with Angels, even ones listed as "reef safe".

Edit: Well according to my wife she is picking at the rock the palys are on and not the coral itself...good to know. She also said that she will swim up next to a coral and fan her tail back and forth making the polyps close then take off when they do, I guess she likes to tease the corals..

Last edited by a moderator:

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! Its getting there. Finally got some decent sized coral and its starting to fill in nicely. I ordered about 15 different types of macro today and it should be in next week.

My GFO got exhausted so the stupid micro algae started to come back (diatoms and GHA). Now that I got more GFO it has started to subside again. I'm hoping that the macro I have coming in will help keep it at bay without the GFO.

Here is a recent FTS, sorry for the crappy picture but Brent is not here to take it LOL!

Im really looking forward to the new macros, will post some pics once they come in!

Here is more of a close up:
[attachment=59388:name]

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys!

So I got my macros in yesterday. About 15 or so from 3 different vendors. One of the boxes leaked and he only put in a 12hr heat pack hand warmer. Not nearly enough to keep the macros warm in this weather so we shall see how they do.

The wife really likes aquascaping (yay me!) so she spent about 2 hours last night placing all the macros in the tank. A majority of them are pretty ticked off from the shipping and lost their color. Hopefully within a week they will bounce back. When they do I will post up some pictures. In the meantime here is a FTS taken last night from my Droid Incredible. You cant really see the macros but better pictures will come!

O and I took my GFO offline last night in hopes I don't need it anymore.