Just a heads up

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;204009 said:
I didn't think potassium permanganate was available anymore ? Last I checked it only comes in small amounts in some kind of medication
No reference to availability on Wikipedia. In fact, it seems that it's used extensively in water treatment facilities!!

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for posting pictures. It helps to know what to look for. Any pictures of eggs?

CRW Reef;203949 said:
Well count me out for frags at this weekends swap as well. Looks like some how picked them up recently too. Maybe good news or fluke but the one frag I just dipped in SeaChem's Reef Dip, seemed to remove them. However I found them on my basketball size Green Monti as well. Dang it, dang it, dang it!!!!!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
seamonkey;204018 said:
Thanks for posting pictures. It helps to know what to look for. Any pictures of eggs?
I honestly am not sure myself, as I didnt see any eggs although im sure they have to be there.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

On the underside of my red Monti. They are little spiral sacks of eggs. Extremely hard to see. (All of those white dots in the picture.)

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
AWWWWW s*** I have white dots on my idaho grape!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think they were... I was looking at Melevs reefs site and the pictures he posted, and what I had looked very similar. Both my red and the rainbow frag had them. I scrapped them off during the dip.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WTH this seems to be an epidemic. I'm glad Ive been out of room for awhile and not able to add anything. These kinds of pests suck!

About a year ago I contracted reef herpes of the Zoa eating flavor from a well known vendor which shall remain nameless. I darn near lost everything trying to eradicate them with flatworm exit and my many of my corals to this day have not fully recovered the beauty they once had.

What the experience taught me was it dosn't matter who you are or how B@DA$$ you tank looks I'm dipping your frag before it goes in my tank. It wasn't long ago I got an acro frag from another fellow reefer that was covered in AEFW eggs. Again a VERY unexpected source. Thankfully I dipped and blasted the frag well before dropping it in the tank only to discover a few hours later there were eggs that were on the frag. I must have gotten all of the adults with the dip as I watched my acros very closely for the next several weeks to make sure none of the eggs had hatched or any adults had survived.

That was the final straw for me. Going forward every coral no mater what it is going into a small QT for at least 10 days for observation. If I lose the frag oh well I don't care.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;204009 said:
I didn't think potassium permanganate was available anymore ? Last I checked it only comes in small amounts in some kind of medication
Should also be available at pool suply companies. According to the article it kills the eggs too, first dip I have heard of doing that as well. Bayer advanced looks promising too, much cheaper and easier to find!

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
For those who got the rainbow monties from me including craiger and blazinjack i just inspected my rainbows and found nothing. I only have 3 monties, a frag of red digital that I got from Dave aka dym about 6 months ago and are doing great encrusting all over my rocks, a frag of purple haze about 4 months also doing great and of course my rainbows which is also doing great. I don't think I have it considering its been so long and everything is doing fine with no site of the nudis anywhere. To be honest I did not take the other 2 frags out (red digita and purple haze) to inspect it closely as I feel I have no reason to as they are doing great and also because it has encrusted to my rocks. Not trying to avoid being a suspect as both got the rainbows from me but if its not me its not me (I hope). If you have any questions please ask and I will happily answer them so we can help narrow your search. Again I have a 16 gallon and nothing nearly as mucch corals that blazinjack or craiger have so I apologize if anything and also Anyone is welcome to come look at my tank and see for yourself

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
yOdaddy;204066 said:
For those who got the rainbow monties from me including craiger and blazinjack i just inspected my rainbows and found nothing. I only have 3 monties, a frag of red digital that I got from Dave aka dym about 6 months ago and are doing great encrusting all over my rocks, a frag of purple haze about 4 months also doing great and of course my rainbows which is also doing great. I don't think I have it considering its been so long and everything is doing fine with no site of the nudis anywhere. To be honest I did not take the other 2 frags out (red digita and purple haze) to inspect it closely as I feel I have no reason to as they are doing great and also because it has encrusted to my rocks. Not trying to avoid being a suspect as both got the rainbows from me but if its not me its not me (I hope). If you have any questions please ask and I will happily answer them so we can help narrow your search. Again I have a 16 gallon and nothing nearly as mucch corals that blazinjack or craiger have so I apologize if anything and also Anyone is welcome to come look at my tank and see for yourself
It was Mike, get him guys!!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;204056 said:
What do u mean?
Just pulled my monti's out and inspected, didn't find anything except tube worms. Although I haven't added or sold anything from my tank in ALONG time.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
After thinking about it I decided that when I got home I threw 45 frags into the trash and 2 12"x12" pieces any Monti that's was not in my display went to the garbage just to make things easier