March contest!!! Show your scape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: March contest!!! Show your scape!

Here is what I got. Held up by PVC Return Pipe and zip ties (The Dragons Head). The rock is marco and tonga. Tank is a 18 gallon ADA60P.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

saltysailor77;232728 said:
Well I just completed my scape today in my 200g DD. I used approximately 160lbs of Marco rock. I wanted a canyon type scape with open swim areas and plenty of places to put all of the corals. This will be a true mixed reef tank leaning towards SPS.

My buddy and I did this in a few hours without using any mortar, rods, PVC, etc. Everything is stable without those things.

Without further ado...

I think the scape came out looking awesome. Definitely jealous! I'll just live through you.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Vance;232851 said:
Love the simplicity of this Martin. What are you planning for the stocking?
Zoas, scollys and pipe fish

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Mine Is nothing Special, built it to mimic reefs in the wild. It has a few trenches that i plan to have coral grow on the walls of the trench and cover it for small nano fish and shrimp to hide in. Its built toward the back wall so my larger pelagic fish can swim about and school. Also so i can have a blue jaw trigger eventually, in the wild they swim about in these reef trenches and dart out to open water to eat planktonic food. Which is the same with my open water/trench rock scape. Left side of my tank isn't how it's going to stay i plan on moving the rocks a little to make one more trench and mound. The left side right now is mainly smaller rocks for my jawfish and gobies to hide in. Im trying to make this as real as possible. The corals i have are all in a frag state still but they will grow and hopefully spread out, this is another reason why the rock is built up on the back wall as you can see with my Sm colony of Pocilipora, it will grow out into open water hopefully. I will have Montis and acros in the trench walls. I have the rocks elevated by lace rock that doesn't cover much sand so i have VERY few dead spots especially with my wave maker facing that way bringing an upwelling current. Like I said its nothing special but when i have my corals grown out it will look well.
View attachment 12431 View attachment 12432 View attachment 12433 View attachment 12434 View attachment 12435 View attachment 12436 View attachment 12437 View attachment 12438 View attachment 12439 View attachment 12440 View attachment 12441 View attachment 12442

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Justin144;233011 said:
Mine Is nothing Special, built it to mimic reefs in the wild. It has a few trenches that i plan to have coral grow on the walls of the trench and cover it for small nano fish and shrimp to hide in. Its built toward the back wall so my larger pelagic fish can swim about and school. Also so i can have a blue jaw trigger eventually, in the wild they swim about in these reef trenches and dart out to open water to eat planktonic food. Which is the same with my open water/trench rock scape. Left side of my tank isn't how it's going to stay i plan on moving the rocks a little to make one more trench and mound. The left side right now is mainly smaller rocks for my jawfish and gobies to hide in. Im trying to make this as real as possible. The corals i have are all in a frag state still but they will grow and hopefully spread out, this is another reason why the rock is built up on the back wall as you can see with my Sm colony of Pocilipora, it will grow out into open water hopefully. I will have Montis and acros in the trench walls. I have the rocks elevated by lace rock that doesn't cover much sand so i have VERY few dead spots especially with my wave maker facing that way bringing an upwelling current. Like I said its nothing special but when i have my corals grown out it will look well.
View attachment 12431 View attachment 12432 View attachment 12433 View attachment 12434 View attachment 12435 View attachment 12436 View attachment 12437 View attachment 12438 View attachment 12439 View attachment 12440 View attachment 12441 View attachment 12442

Love your scape!!! Really need to use photo bucket though... loading all those pics is a drag :)

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So when doing my scape I wanted lots of plating rock to put corals on to grow. IE I have an orange hammer that is nicely taking over one plate. I have an ultra acan taking over another plate. I have a gold torch on top of them all. You get the idea. This should also help to eliminate coral battles when they start growing out. Also loved arches for some reason so I built one. Simply starting doing the jigsaw puzzle of rocks one night seeing what pieces fit together the best and then held them together with super glue and then finally that reef safe puddy. I used that on most of my aquascape to hold it in place for good. I also did the island rock in the middle for the nem so he won't be cruising around stinging all my other corals. I also like an open sand bed on the bottom for clams, gobies and stars. Ultimately it came out better than I could have ever imagined.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

It's made of rock.

It's stacked like domino's to form lots of overhangs and caves for fish and coral alike. I think only one piece is epoxed and the rest is stacked. Anywhere from 150-200lbs of Lincoln log waiting for gorilla to knock it over.

Sent from Earth

greeneyedgirl

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Here is my scape. I used great stuff foam for the back wall with crush coral and sand glued to it. Then use rock to build a tree looking thing. Glued the rock together with quikrete cement. I used black sand.

76 gallon 1/2 round tank. PITA to scape, get flow, light. Still trying to get sps to grow. I used 1/2" acrylic rod and luck to stack rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.