Now I really want to get some more fish. Current stock list is as follows:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 scopas tang
1 coral beauty
1 Bangaii Cardinal
1 Midas blenny
1 checkerboard wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse

I am thinking I want some tangs, wrasses, a reef safe trigger, and maybe a large angel. I know some of these may pose some problems but I am open to suggestions. I always thought 3 blue hippos would be cool.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're going to do both wrasses and tangs, I'd add a cleaner wrasse to the list. The wrasses eat inverts, so ya can't have shrimp or crabs, but the tangs are prone to ich. A cleaner wrasse will do the same job as a cleaner shrimp would, and that'll keep your tangs happy. If you get the coral beauty, keep a fish trap handy- there's a 50-50 chance it'll nosh on the corals. Mine liked softies, but I've heard plenty of stories from others that theirs never touched anything. (and yes, I fed it plenty. Probably too much- decent size chunk of frozen food twice a day.)

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My coral beauty is constantly grazing on the rocks but I've never seen it touch my softies or zoas. It nipped the blade gorgonian I got the other day but fled quickly and hasn't touched it since.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So far my cleaner shrimp has been fine too. But that checkerboard wrasse has grown quickly.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully I'm just a fussbudget. I just thought I'd mention it, so you'd be ready. Of course, now that you're ready, it's almost guaranteed that nothing will happen.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I am not sure about adding other wrasses, but the two I have aren't bothering the shrimp yet.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's just like angels that nip coral...some do some don't. I have a yellow coris, red lined, and red velvet fairy that pay no attention to my shrimp...the Lubbock's I had was the same way. A blue finned fairy I owned for s small stretch devoured my peppermints within minutes of adding them.

I think a lot of it depends on the size of the wrasse vs the shrimp, along with the obvious personal behavior. Other thing I've seen mentioned is that wrasses tend to do better when added to a tank with established shrimp rather than vice versa. Although my experience fits that pattern...I think s larger wrasse is more of a threat regardless...

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
During research on cleaner wrasses, I found that they generally have an abysmal rate of survival in home aquariums, even large ones. Neon gobies perform the same function in reef tanks, but they can be captive bred. I'm all about sustainable harvest so I think that neon gobies are a better alternative to consider, plus they are likely to survive longer.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
kyuubichan218;262037 said:
During research on cleaner wrasses, I found that they generally have an abysmal rate of survival in home aquariums, even large ones. Neon gobies perform the same function in reef tanks, but they can be captive bred. I'm all about sustainable harvest so I think that neon gobies are a better alternative to consider, plus they are likely to survive longer.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2
That's great info! I had no idea that neon gobies would do the same thing.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Forgot I also have a diamond goby.

Can I get other sand sifting gobies with the diamond? I've always wanted the goby/shrimp combo.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Haven't checked the numbers since last time but it looks great. Added like three different types of montis, some Cali tort, birds nest, huge piece of Hollywood stunner, and a few other frags today. Just need to let them adjust to the light and move them up to mount them at some point later this week. I got like three bags from Seth as a trade for my gen x. And like 7 different awesome pieces from Clayton (Saltysamurai) when I picked up the dbtc Hollywood stunner.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My three favorite adds this week were the photosynthetic blade gorgonian from Mike (mrass), the Hollywood stunner (Saltysamurai), and the Cali tort (Saltysamurai).

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I've got to clean the glass tomorrow and I'll take some pics. I added a Tomini tang and a Blue hippo on Monday. They both look great and are eating well. Mounted some of the frags on the rock today. Definitely going through a minicycle with some hair algae in the overflows but not in the tank. Tangs are gobbling it up. Ordered a magnet should be here on Monday so cleaning will be a snap and I can start taking more pics.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I love the size of the Naso tang, but I am leaning towards a Vlamingii. What do you guys think?