Part 2 of losing my mind, Bajamike's 300 DD build

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;271898 said:
You keeping any t5's? If so what bulbs, actinic? I can not wait to see your tank under all halide!
Still have my t-5s going all actinic and I will get reef bright strips too. I may do a diy led strip to keep costs down. But I will use 1:1 blue to royal blue when and if I do the strips.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Out of curiosity, how many LED panels would you have had if you went ahead and bought more LEDs? How would their wattage have compared to 1200W of metal halides?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would have had to buy 3 more AI sols. Total of 6 panels 450w of power. So effectively I tripled my power consumption. Also the bulb replacement, so I will pay over time the $1000+. But if I get the results I think I will get it will be worth the extra cost.... I guess its worth a mention that we also just went solar power so that does help.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some of the national guys run 6 to 10 150W units at 100% over a tank your size, so I was just curious where you came out with your personal analysis. This helps me a bunch, thanks, since I like to pay attention so that I know when it will be time for me to switch.

If it helps you out any, I have 6 250W HQI burning for 8 hours and the bill on this is about 1.20 a day. If you cannot afford this kind of dough, then any hobby, let alone this one, is probably not going to work out too well.

Also, anybody considering a real cost/benefit analysis using LED also has to consider the cost of new panels - the idea that panels last for 10+ years is a joke. As fast as LED units are progressing, there will likely be many people that will have bought all new panels by the time that you need to replace your MH bulbs.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;271922 said:
Some of the national guys run 6 to 10 150W units at 100% over a tank your size, so I was just curious where you came out with your personal analysis. This helps me a bunch, thanks, since I like to pay attention so that I know when it will be time for me to switch.

If it helps you out any, I have 6 250W HQI burning for 8 hours and the bill on this is about 1.20 a day. If you cannot afford this kind of dough, then any hobby, let alone this one, is probably not going to work out too well.

Also, anybody considering a real cost/benefit analysis using LED also has to consider the cost of new panels - the idea that panels last for 10+ years is a joke. As fast as LED units are progressing, there will likely be many people that will have bought all new panels by the time that you need to replace your MH bulbs.
Stop making sense! You're makin' it really hard for me to give him crap about blowing up the electric bill with his MHs.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah... ummm... the bulbs are on the way. Which means the canopy is sitting on the floor in front of the tank...

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;271924 said:
Stop making sense! You're makin' it really hard for me to give him crap about blowing up the electric bill with his MHs.
I could go on for hours about this, which I am sure that all of you have seen. However, I will not derail the thread and just say that I think that he made a decision that will save money and yield better results in a CMA that will actually hold up (and in reality too). Is the situation still saveable for you? Is there something else that you can give him crap about to make up for it?

With those Radiums, the coral will need no supplement. ...so, unless you all just need dusk/dawn, thunderstorms and that other kind of for-the-reefer-stuff, you can probably save back some of that money by not running/buying T5 or stunner strips. I have some in my fish storage room that you can borrow before you buy and I seriously doubt that you will be able to tell when they are on.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm almost positive that I can find *something* to give him crap about.

I'm keepin' my AI's until they burn completely out, however. I like the dusk/dawn replication, the moon cycle replication, and the thunderstorms. Oh yeah, and the lower electrical bill.