R_P's 120 build!

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calcium reactor would be a nice addition. Are there any other reactors you might be interested in? Carbon,etc. Want to add any dosers, a controller, can't remember if you have one or not? The list of equipment is endless, depends on what you have in mind and what the budget looks like.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like the g/f's engineering family likes me...they're helping me design and make a calc reactor. Chemical, Mechanical/Civil, Electrical, Bio engineers all working together to build me a reactor, I know...be jealous. That's the next step.

For right now, WTF makes mine and hurra's fungia frag so different? Both came from the same mother. Coloration is the same. Mine has brown tentacles around the middle, and green tentacles around the outside that are always out. If I just fed him or not, they are always out. Hurra's seems to be rectracted. My nem (and a few LPS) took a turn for the worse. I went away one weekend, then BAM!!, it looked like crap when I came back. I do feed it more often now (once a week). I lost three acan colonies and my raptors piece retracted a bit. Everything just kinda slowed down. I made some SM frags for the Dec. frag swap, now I have three frags with 10 heads each. Anyone want to buy some SM? What's weird is that they appear to take on different coloration, even though the frags are right next to each other on the frag rack.

Inverts and fish. One of my clowns is developing lots faster than the other, the female? The second is just now starting his third stripe. I thought that they had the big jawbone thing going one, now I don't really think so. Oh well, you tell me in the pic. Yes I know its fuzzy, but you should look at the other ones, yikes! I bought a pretty big foxface, as compared to the other fishes. He eats algae like mad. I bought a red mandarin a while back and was concerned about the pod population (I know, I know. I should've done my homework first), so I bought the bags of pods from eBay. From experience, they are great, go get you some. Now he's a fat lil mandarin. The chromis are being chromis and just being. I bought a tiger tail cucumber, they are sweet looking, but only come out at night, at least for me. I then bought a yellow cucumber, I love him too. Although he doesn't look as good under such blue lights as opposed to the whiter ones. My cleaner shrimp are shedding a few times a week, I find a molting in the powerhead or sticking out of a coral at least every other day. I'm still worried about my red lankia star because I didn't really understand the dietary requiments (the homework thing I know). He's sweet, I'm just scared that he's going to begin melting soon. The sand sifting star...sifts sand. Clams are sweet, one of the maximas likes to move around a lot. Snails are being snails, I still have a lot of the 120 ceriths I got from MTS. I think that's about it, on with the pics.

bouncing back nem with two clowns

Two differences between Space Monsters

Peace sign starfish

Mandarin and some chalice. White zoa's are passion fruit or something like that.

Top down using my acrylic box

What you guys think? See anything you like?

Last edited by a moderator:

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
The tank is looking good man!!I really like the orange clam, he looks killer!!! Like Jon said though, because I didn't get my fungia from charlie (unless alex did) they may just be different kinds of fungias. The tentacles are not out too much that I can see, it has more of a "fleshy" look to it. Could be differences in light as well? I have mine sitting under 6 T-5's and 2 x 250 MH's??

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you ever frag the white polyps or the space monsters tell me i just might want to buy them

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
not much just want to get some growing in my tank

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
In an effort to keep my crack dealer, Josh, happy I will stay pretty close to his pricing. I'm thinking $100ish for one, then whatever Josh does for multiple polyps. I think he does 180-200 for three? I can't remember.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pink/orange acan combo both are lords so they get along. On the orange ones, are those new ones dropping off? If so do I just take a dremel to them?

One of my fav's

Acan lord. No idea on name ask MTS

This colony started out deep red, in the shade its turning orange. If I put it more into the light will it turn red again?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I leave for 3 weeks and come back to low pH, alk, Ca, one dead clam, the 12 polyp space monster colony dead, acan colony in the pic above dead, raptors piece dead, and a few others dying. I did a water change, 30 gal. I bought the seachem fussion 2 part alk, ca to start bringing the levels up again. My nem is starting to look bad again. I ran out of salt and no one in town carries salinity, so I had to get the reefsalt. It mixes to lower percentages though, so I don't like that. I can't seem to catch the wrasse, any ideas?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats a bit of die off, I would run lots of carbon and change it out every few days. I can help you with the space monster, bring by the wrasse and I will give you a polyp of the SM. I have 3 heads now but 2 of them are babies so I haven't fragged them yet. When I do though, you can have one.

Here are ideas to catch the fish.

1: If the fish doesn't bury in the substrate at night. Then wait until like 2 in the morning. Have nets ready and a flashlight. Shine the flashlight into its eyes which will stun it and net em up.

2: The bottle trick - http://aquarticles.com/articles/management/Gallade_Max_Catching_Fish.html

3: Netting them. Not the best way IMO. If you want to net the fish I would say leave the nets in the tank for a few days. I don't think fish are smart enough to know that the net is there to catch them, they just see it as something new in the tank chasing them around. If you leave the net in the water for a few days they become used to it and should make it easier to net them. Timing is everything though.

4: Go fishing! Seriously. I have heard of people who take a fishing pole and put food on a hook and catch fish that way. LOL probably not the best way but who knows. Just make sure to take the barb off of the hook. Some people swear by this method...

Dont shoot the messenger on some of these methods, just relaying information!!!!

Good luck

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried the food trick, nothing, have to try the night trick. I've left the net in all day, he stayed on the opposite side of the tank. I have more SM, I'm just bummed I lost a 12 polyp mini colony

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have some salinity you could borrow. I think I am going to need some help with the tank anyhow. We could call it trade...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
if the float is moving like it should and still not working probably time for a new one ...assuming you checked your pump