Ryan's 10gal

G

I was a volunteer firefighter at Skyline FD here in Denver a few years ago. Now in flight school to be a pilot. Good eye!

i was waiting for the Jesus comment! Its a deluxe miracle jesus action figure! won it at trivia at a bar a long time ago and its too hilarious to get rid of.

Also got the Cold War Unicorns.

Haha, the unicorns are pure gold.

One of my friends in highschool screwed a Miracle Jesus to the hood of his Subaru station wagon as the hood ornament. The only time that car ever turned heads.

G

ok tank is up and running! grabbed spome live rock from Todds, and Oceans Apart. Thankfully todds just got a new shipment in, lots of purple and no crap growing on it.

finally clearing up after sand. still up in the air about the rock placement, but i like this the best so far.

now we wait. In the mean time, ill be able to figure out what i want to do for lighting!

G

shelf is holding up just fine! so fine in fact, ive decided to add a 5 gallon sump just to the southeast!

located a used overflow box and u tube at keys island. modified it to work with my 4" PVC overflow.

got some baffles from Plasticare for the 5gal. now just need a good return pump and chaeto light. and more live rock for the sump and ill be in business.

in the meantime the tank is still cycling with the AC70. it will be nice to get rid of that eyesore soon! changed the rocks up a hair too. want corals!

oh yea, ordered my LEDs last night!

I would suggest putting a "roof" over that power stripstrip just in case your tank should ever overflow. I speak from experience

G

haha good call. now that im going to plumb the sump, its definitely getting moved out of the way. thanks guys, LEDs should be here next week! ill post progress

G

LEDs are done! everything went together perfect, bright as hell. went with 8x 3w Cree royal blue, and 4x 3w Cree neutral whites.
Im not too happy with the finished product though...the problem is the tank is now a 70s disco club! all over the rocks and sand is white and blue flashes! its hard to look at up close. I actually spaced the LEDs closer that the recommended 2" and still get color shadows galore. Think height of the array above the water has something to do with it, but i cant go any higher...
Both colors are dimmable, and ive got it settled at around a 20k bulb look. noticed my heat sink gets pretty warm, so i might have to add a fan. The 8 blues are pretty overpowering. Ive got my whites up to maybe 25% and the blues to maybe 15% and its still pretty purple. thinking of adding a string of cool white right down the center...
ebay heat sink. wanted the mounting holes at the top. 9.5" x 5.5"x 1.25". sand blasted and drilled and tapped 24 holes (didnt even break a tap!)

LEDs mounted. Liked the heatsink cuz its got a groove, which ill slide a glass plate into to protect everything.

mounted at the top of the bookshelf. camera makes em look super purple for some reason. Its not that purple in person.

excuse the temporary wiring mess :)

Ill finalize the install in the next few days and clean everything up and see how i like it.