Ryan's 10gal

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it looks great. I don't see any spotlighting and the color looked good, but your camera was also doing an auto white balance, so I wasn't really able to tell a purple color or how bright it was actually getting. The drawback of LEDs is the multiplication of the shimmer effect. A MH has one concentrated light casting a shimmer effect while LEDs are using multiple LEDs causing more shimmer (blue, orange, and white flickers). It is hard for me to say what I prefer especially since I will be using T5's on my 20L. Shut off your pump and take a look at it.

G

oh it looks great with the pumps off. Im hoping when i finish the sump, ill have the return under the surface of the water so it wont agitate it as much. Got a piece of glass cut to protect from the water. Props to Preferred glass off Iliff, cut and had to modify the glass for me and they did it with all smiles and didnt charge me a thing! I think some beer is in their future.

It did work extremely well in the tight space!

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I copied your corner overflow, are you gonna get rid of the HOB filter since you added the sump?

G

corals have begun!

snagged this frogspawn from Oceans Apart:

Thanks to SPStimie for the green birdnest:

Got a bunch of snails and crabs from Elite Reef, now my rocks are nice and clean!

also, thought the heat sink for the LEDs was getting too hot, so grabbed this blower fan from MicroCenter. $10, took it apart and mounted it to the bookshelf directly behind the heatsink, and wired it to the LED power supply. Took the heatsink off, drilled holes through all the fins for airflow and mounted it back up. Heatsink is cool to the touch after hours of operation. Only prob is the fan is pretty loud... says 25db, not sure if thats loud or not, but its pretty loud to me.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man I wish I was that DIY inclined lol. I'll usually say I want to do something, then get the stuff I need but never follow through haha!! Looking good though, I dig the rock work!

G

thanks! got a few more corals. tiny little green candy cane, from Todds, super bright!

nice size Duncan from Mike at Custom Aquaria

couple acans from Mike too

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice! you still have the other half to the overflow?

G

ok got a ton of new corals! and some sexy shrimp. little disappointed in the shrimp, theyre always hiding in my duncan. any tips to get them to come out more?

new corals - red monti, idaho grape monti, orange(i think fire and ice) zoas, dragon eye zoas, armor of god zoas, some yellow centered zoas with long skirts, "bird of paradise birdsnest" (what i was told, has pink polyps with yellowish branches)

also meteor shower and smurf village monti

G

duncan has 2 new heads aleardy, both acans have 3 new buds, zoas are all popping out new heads. its crazy in there! those red acans in the front right are HUGE! a lot bigger than i wanted really, might have to get rid of them sooner or later.

no, ive been so busy with xmas/new years, and now school is starting next week. Ill get it going sooner or later, just need a pump and a return hose. AC70 is doing fine for now.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Never heard it called smurf village monti before, it is more commonly known as flower petal monti.

I like your aquascaping!

G

ha id never heard of smurf village either, sounded appropriate though. thanks for the correction.

and no, im not big on testing. weekly water changes have kept me going with my other tanks. so far ive tested the water a few times. once came up low on alk, so i buffered it. ill test again soon