14 Cube (don't tell the wife) Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I officially have multi tank syndrome as I still haven't finished my other build and have a tank at the house plus this new build (hence the don't tell the wife reference).
Been planning out a cube build for a number of months now that would focus on color scheme (thus limiting my buying power and allowing the tank to have a focal point). Wasn't sure if I would move forward with the idea until I got a 5 gallon bucket of black sand for free last month (thanks Seth) and saw jaffai'a cube for sale near me.
Will be focusing mainly on zoanthids and shrooms as my other build has the light power and space for sps.
Color scheme: blue, purple, red, and orange. I'm trying to stay away from green and yellow as much as possible as my other tank will by focusing on using yellow as the focal points - going to get a yellow chromis and a few others. But back to this build...
Fish: My sons really love their clownfish and the black sand, black cube, and blue/purple corals will really set them off with my led light. Will also be adding my 6-line wrasse due to an ongoing pest issue (still fits my color scheme).
Zoas: Fire and Ice, Armor of God, God of War, pink Zippers, blowpops, watermelon, orange bams, blue ice, eagle eyes, red/blue hornets.
Shrooms: red shroom w gold specks, green w blue dotting.
Anemone: green bta, already have a rose bta on the Christmas list and will move the bta at that point
Light: full spec led 120 watt like u find on eBay for $100.
Flow: 130 return pump, 250 koralia
"Fuge" Area: it came with bioballs but I'm leaning more towards pulling these and adding chaeto instead.
I'm using tonga branch coral that I had gotten for a 10 gallon build in 2004 that hasn't been setup since 2004. Already been cycling the rocks and will add more from my established tank as I can, was inspired by the tank at elite reef w the Zoas attached to the branch rock and want to lean in that direction.
Hoping to have this setup and running by end of the month.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up the tank and stand today. Added sand and some rock for initial scaling, will add more water from my water change off my dt at home later tonight. Have 2 more pieces of live rock to fit in. Having to time the move of corals off my tank at home w the completion and setup if my 65 office build as I will b rid of the other tank then (using the light and equipment off if it).

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good luck Jeremiah sounds like a fun tank. Can't wait to see some pics. Why the green shroom though if you want no green?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Haha...I'm not sure. I will probably DBTC a lot of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
The black look in the tank will be really cool! Good luck with the tank, Glad you are able to make use of it instead of it sitting in my garage.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jfaiii;326134 said:
The black look in the tank will be really cool! Good luck with the tank, Glad you are able to make use of it instead of it sitting in my garage.
What was the stuff u were telling me about today to help w cycling?

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Its made by a company called prodibio, it is called biodigest, you can also use the "start up" one they make but I have had good luck with the biodigest.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Been thinking of modding the cube to include a sump. Possibly could look like this. Any suggestions?

I have some extra acrylic I can use to cut an overflow. The dotted line in the sump is a piece of mesh that I have that my wife's uses for crocheting. I currently burn 1 gallon a day w these lights and want to add the sump mainly to add an ato in the future and add more water to the tank.
The return pump on it as-is is rated for 135 and would put a 200 or 300 gph instead w the mod.
Anyone see any issues w drilling an oceanic 14 cube? I haven't checked yet if glass is tempered. 1 hole low mid on back/ return hole high and to the left on back.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did it with a 29g, no issues, and drilled it for 2 drains, and one return. The return was a little bit of a pain, not to drill, but to get the right fittings to connect the "bridge" to use the existing nozzle.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Bad day.
You can tell the wife now.

No fish or coral loss as I had filled it to start cycling the rock thanks goodness.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Top to bottom on the side panel.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Thats no good, how did that happen?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had been working on it yesterday morning and I think I stressed the glass too much when I was preparing the tank for drilling two holes on the back wall as I had taken off the side panels. The crack goes from bottom right to the top and it's right at the seem between the back and side. I had just walked out the office at the end of the day and heard it snap and caught most of the water. I made the crack worse when I hulked it outside.
Will do damage assessment today but I doubt it's fixable at this point and will just have to scrap it.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And close. Going to have to do a different tank for the house. Have a 20 w stand I may work w to use at the house but officially doneski w this build.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha. Thanks Randy! I'll let u know when I start another, always something planning...