3ft Long and a Mile High

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 20084
Figured I would start a thread on my Mr Aqua Long. Maybe some can learn from my mistakes along the way, and I've made plenty. I'll go back to the beginning on future posts, but wanted to start with the progression shot to see where it started and where it is today.

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Things I wish I knew before I started drilling a tank:
- Take it slow...really slow...measure again, and again, then one more time just to make sure.
- start by drawing your guide circle on the glass with a sharpie, then place a strip of packing tape over the circle, AND on the other side of the glass as well. This does 2 things. 1. the circle doesn't wash off during drilling 2. it keeps the edge of the hole nice and clean and doesn't let the drill bit push out of the glass early and create all those little annoying chips on the back side
[attachment=67123:name]
- put a towel inside the tank opposite where you're drilling. It catches all the water, glass dust, and the hole you just sawed out...makes clean up much easier.
- You're not really drilling, it's more like grinding a hole in the glass.
- roll plumber's into a "snake" then use it to create a "dam" around the guide circle...fill that reservoir with water to keep the bit cool and dust from flying everywhere.
- I tried the drill bit guide some of the sites advertise...I found them harder to use and couldn't gauge the pressure accurately.
- when doing it by hand, start at a slight angle till you get a groove established, then slowly work toward horizontal where it's cutting the entire radius of the hole.
- let the weight of the drill be the only downward pressure...it takes a while, but it will make a nice clean hole in the end.

So the story behind the lesson?

Ordered my tank, did all my research on how to drill it...and the first hole I did:

[attachment=67119:name]

Yup, so much for that tank. Deciding to make the most of it, I decided the drill guides weren't for me, I needed to learn to do it by hand where I could develop the "feel" for it...so I turned my cracked tank into swiss cheese...

[attachment=67120:name]

That helped a ton, but I was still annoyed with the little chips on the inside edge of every hole....no matter how light the pressure was. Then I learned the tape trick and the holes came out perfect.

Ordered another tank, and the next weekend I tried it again.
[attachment=67121:name]

Everything was a perfect "tight" fit...maybe too tight in one spot. Dang gum it... did it again...I had drilled too close to the top, and the pressure of test fitting my drain cracked the tank! Again! Since it was above the waterline, and I wasn't willing to lay out the cash for another one, I thought I'd just live with it. A couple of days later I got the idea of trying a windshield repair kit...worked like a charm. If I didn't point it, nobody could find it.
[attachment=67122:name]

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Oh man this tank looks awesome!!!!!!!!! So is it the 12g Mr Aqua or ????? Following along as I want to see how you ended up doing the plumbing as it looks like its pretty slick!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice trick with the tape! Have you filled the tank yet to see how your repair will actually hold up? I've never cracked the tank, but have split several bulk heads trying to give it just one more turn. Looking good, tagging along..

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;316980 said:
Nice trick with the tape! Have you filled the tank yet to see how your repair will actually hold up? I've never cracked the tank, but have split several bulk heads trying to give it just one more turn. Looking good, tagging along..
Crack is still invisible, it's above the water line, so it doesn't even get the chance to leak....lucked out that it went up, not down.

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plumbing is pretty basic, but when I was designing the tank, I wanted it as simple with as little hardware in it as possible. I live in an 1891 Victorian so the tank couldn't look ultra modern and fit in with the walnut library.

Overflow:
Dual 1"JT Bulkhead low profile screens
1" bulkheads
1" PVC Ts that I customized....I tried making it look a bit more "old fashion/industrial" by throwing the PVC caps on a lathe and giving them a bit of an art deco flare and topped it with an air valve. I wanted to be able to adjust air intake so it wouldn't siphon on me all the time.

Return from sump is two 1/2 black vinyl tubes that elbow into a bulkhead (on the left side it's in front, on the right side it's behind the overflow)...this gives the tank great flow.

[attachment=67143:name]

The tank stand is an old Victorian game table, and the black vinyl tubing elbows under the stand so you can't see it from the front. The other benefit from using the game table as a stand is that I can fold up half the table behind the tank as a backdrop and splash guard for the library panels. The tubing is plumbed through the floor to the sump in the basement...that's another story...for next time.

[attachment=67146:name]

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FlyrodTodd;317209 said:
1" PVC Ts that I customized....I tried making it look a bit more "old fashion/industrial" by throwing the PVC caps on a lathe and giving them a bit of an art deco flare and topped it with an air valve.
lol, that has to be a first. Great build thread. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Really like how ur tying the tank stand into the design of the house. Tagging along.

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
K ya'll...time for the underbelly.

[attachment=67307:name]
Back in 2005 when I bought the house, I wanted a 90 gallon display tank in the room...then I installed the walnut paneling and it just didn't go. Sold the tank on Craigslist, but I had put some serious thought into how do I maintain the tank without a ton of time spent on it and had already built it down in the basement. I decided to keep that part of the system.....Apex hadn't hit my radar yet and most weren't talking about automatic water changes. So I put a 20 gallon tank on the top shelf, and plumbed the display tank upstairs to drain into it. I put a divider in the middle of tank and drilled 2 holes on one side. One hole to plumb down to the sump, and another to a valve so could instantly do a 10 gallon dump. boom...no more hoses, siphoning, nada. Turn the valve...10 gallons pours right into the 5 gallon buckets on the floor, pour 10 gallons of fresh back into the sump and whaalaaa water change done in 5 minutes.

[attachment=67308:name]

Sump is pretty basic:
MRC protein skimmer, sandbed, frag farm, carbon, calcium reactor, fans for cooling, etc...

[attachment=67311:name]

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very nice setup there. I like the water change system you have put in, been thinking of ways to do this on my next tank build