A sad day . . . and end of an era for me

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Columbine High School tank is coming apart, literally. About three or four weeks ago one of the two center braces separated/pulled away from the front glass. I thought it worrisome, but attributed it to 14 years of kids doing the maintenance and scraping near silicone with razor blades. Last week, the second brace pulled away, and I could see a noticeable bow to the back glass. I measured it as roughly 3/8"+ difference in the middle.

This leaves me with three options--drain the tank and find someone adept at fixing it (and pray that it holds), buy a new tank, or tear it down completely and sell it off. I am opting for #3 (with a heavy heart) for a number or reasons.

First, the risk is too great that if something happened (and it always happens when no one is in the building/library) it could flood or--worse--cause an electrical fire. Not to mention everything in the tank would die. I don't want to even think about the potential of an actual blowout and water and electricity mixing with students in the library. Second, I have kept and maintained the tank for 14 years now. That's a long time for the same tank--more than most hobbyists, I would bet--and it is taxing in many ways. Being at school and not my home adds burdens. Imagine what you go through taking care of your tank when you go on a vacation--it's like that, only all the time. Further, it is really an unreasonable expense for a school. My principal has been very supportive, but he is retiring in the next year or so and who knows how supportive and open with funds the next one will be. Local hobbyists and MASC have been very generous, but if I am honest it is a luxury that in these times is superfluous.

Finally, its original intent was to provide a peaceful element to help traumatized kids find solace in a place of so much chaos and death. That was how I got into reef keeping--as a way to occupy my mind after the shooting by reading, learning, and creating something beautiful. When I returned to the building the following fall, many of my colleagues said they would never return to the library again after what had happened. That's why I started the aquarium, to bring a soothing and inviting center to the place. It has done that. Next year's freshman class was not even born when the shooting happened, so I think it has served its purpose. Unfortunately,many kids are completely unaware of it, having not really been to the library much on their own. Even more unfortunate, there are a good number of kids who won't sit anywhere else in the library--and over the years I have had the pleasure of working with dozens of student assistants who have helped me maintain it.

So I do not make this decision lightly, believe me. It has been a significant part of my life. I have been blessed by all it has done for both me and many of the students.

I am going to have to sell off the livestock soon. I will start a FS thread likely next week--sorry for the poor timing with Reefstock, but bulging seams and breaking braces are not something one prepares for. Many animals I have kept for many many years. Many show-sized pieces. Over the summer or next fall, I will work with the
librarian to turn it into a nice terrarium or something. Or maybe a science teacher may want to set up some sort of lizard/snake/whatever display. But I think it will be a terrarium--with a gnome or faerie that I can move from time to time and keep the kids guessing. Easier to maintain, and no bulging seams.

I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has given advice, time, and donations. Over nearly a decade and a half, there are too many for me to even remember--something I am a bit ashamed of, admittedly. Thank you all.

Jason

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jason, I have a 150 gallon RR acrylic tank that I was going to sell in about 2 weeks. I would gladly donate the tank to the school if you have any interest. You can call or text me at 806-290-2169.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a sad thing. Please put me on the short list for a piece of this tank I remember where I was the day this happened and for me to have something good from it all would be an honor.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
bruby;229209 said:
Jason, I have a 150 gallon RR acrylic tank that I was going to sell in about 2 weeks. I would gladly donate the tank to the school if you have any interest. You can call or text me at 806-290-2169.
That is mighty nice of you.....

I hope that works for Jason

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys--it really does break my heart. But in a way it is good, too. It is time for me, personally, to move on. I won't get too personal, but in a slight way it will be good to see it evolve to something new and clear my own head from it a bit.

@bruby: That is very kind, and the entire project lasted for 14 years because of people like you. But I am not looking to replace the aquarium (it is built into the wall anyway, so it would have to spec just right). I am looking to turn the page, so to speak. Once again, thank you for the offer.

If thats the case Jason please put me high on the list for some of those corals. As stated earlier, it would be an honor for me too to have some of those corals.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: A sad day . . . and end of an era for me

Jason as we talked in the past few days I am also very sad to see this but certainly understand your desire to move on to the next chapter in your life. I commend you on your selfless patronage, donations, volunteered time and the amazing gift you have given to Columbine High School over the past 14 years. Also as we discussed please let me know when and where and how I can help you with any of this.

Again thank you for all you've done for Columbine High School and its students/families who were victims and witnesses to the tragedy.

*side note - still hoping you and your wife decide to once again keep a tank in your home :D

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would be honored to preserve a piece of the rebel tank. put me high on the list too. also if you any help I am in the neighborhood and will help in any way

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I would also like a piece of this tank. If you would be so kind to put me on the list as well. I'm very saddened to hear this news, but understand the complicated decision you had to make...

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad, those are very kind words. Thank you. And I am sure I will still be around. I cannot sit at this computer and not automatically open MASC and check the posts. And I certainly hope to once again have a tank in my home. I will still have the 30 cube that I set up for Robyn (she is still doing the independent study with me, so I will still be reefing at least till summer).

I am putting together a list of the livestock that will, necessarily, need to go first. I will post it early next week, and I am sure there will be plenty to go around. Thanks everybody.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I remember years ago, we had a frag swap at the school and you told us about first having a smaller tank in your classroom. Man, that was a while back already. :)

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I would also love to have a piece or two, sad to hear but I understand the thought of moving on and I hope when you turn the page to the next chapter in life it only gets better!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wish there had been a great teacher like you in any of my schools who would have taken on a task like this for us. Those were some lucky kids, to get to experience something like that, and be taught how to care for it.

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
You all are very kind. I appreciate your thoughts. But it isn't about me--perhaps that's why it is even harder to bring it to an end.
Cheers

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
For all those who have expressed interest, I will be placing the livestock from the Columbine reef up for sale (likely some kind of a silent auction--Kris/djkms idea) starting tomorrow evening or Monday afternoon.

Cheers,
Jason