A Sad Day - End of an Era

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I heard rumors that it is being sold as white castle sand or something like that in the south still. Years ago someone in the club went out East and brought back a whole trailer full that a bunch of us bought.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Southdown is pure aragonite sand. It was so popular in that instead of the average $1/lb price tag on aragonite sand sold at online fish stores, southdown was around $2-$3 for a 50lb bag. This was also when deep sand beds were all the rage so it saved a lot of people tons of money.

I used up my last bags 3 years ago when I set up my current tank.

Another rumor I heard floating around was that Old Castle was providing Crayola it's white sand. Although I haven't seen the white Crayola play sand in quite a while.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They supposedly bagged it in the same places in Florida where they bag the carib sea. ...only at like $2.79 a 50lb bag. It is super-fine too, which really helps with denitrification and phosphate exchange.

After they quit carrying it and the nationwide search started (what do you think, about 10 years ago?), there was a pallet and a half on close-out all of a sudden at Dome Depot out of nowhere. I ditched my wife and nearly ran up front to buy it ALL. There were reef clubs arranging 18 wheelers to haul pallets of it back from Hardware Stores in the south - I think that it was coming out to like $10 a bag, which is still a bargain.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You found a pallet of it at a Home Depot in the metro area?

I remember a club member employed by Home Depot used his connections to bring some pallets of the stuff out here. Unfortunately, he didn't collect the money first and many people who said they wanted some backed out and he was stuck with a ton of it. Maybe he was able to return a bunch of it back to Home Depot?