A sad day :(

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Woke up this morning to a QT full of dead fish. I forgot to plug the HOB for the QT after feeding last night and that was enough. I have to say that I am still surprised that 3 fish in a 40g tank would deplete O2 in 10 hours. Or was it something else??

The purple tang was taking a few breaths still so I put him in a fresh bucket and added an air stone and a heater, but I don't have any high hopes. I think I might wait a bit before I get replacements, though. Made me sick to my stomach.

Shawn

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear. It's always hard to lose animals but especially when we have brain farts

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im so sorry to hear. I had a similar situation with several high end reptiles a long time ago where I had them in a ventilated container, and set them half in the shade and half in the sun. About 15 minutes later I went back to check on them, the sun had moved so it was in full sun and they were all dead. I too was very sick to my stomach and so angry with myself. We are responsible for the animals we keep but we are not God, we make mistakes so we can only do our best. It wasnt intentional and sounds like you saved one of them so its a win in the end. Even if you hadn't its a learning experience bet you wont ever make that mistake again, I know I never made mine again.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bummer. Hopefully the purple makes a full recovery. Always hard to forgive ourselves when we make dumb mistakes like that.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am really sorry to hear this. That sucks so bad when stuff like that happens. Sounds like the purple tang is a champ!

ShawnM

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shawn as someone who has seen your QT operation in person I know you do more than 95% of the people in this hobby to ensure the best survival and healthiest environments for your fish.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys - just took an hour off work and set up a new 20g for him to recover in. This guys is a fighter!! His color is great and looks like nothing happened. I thought I saw the Chevron Tang's fin move so I put him in the bucket with the airstone. After the last miracle, who knows!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good luck with them. Purple tangs are pretty hardy so I hope he makes a full recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm tell you - this is very miracle like in my book, lol. When I put him in the bucket I just picked him up in my hand and he laid there motionless during the transfer. The Chevron and Powder Blue did not fair so well, unfortunately.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
This tang must have a death wish - I ran to Home Depot and the tang jumped out of the tank! I have not heard of tangs being jumpers. I put him back in and he looks ok, but sheesh!!