Anemone spawning?

Was just getting ready to do a water change and noticed both my rock nems producing large amounts of white from their mouth. For a minute I thought they were pooping then Realized It was to much for that. Need opinions also if they are should I do another water change tomorrow or the next day?

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Large water changes have been proven to promote reproduction or splitting in nems as a survival tactic

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
They may be spawning. It is possible for nems to spawn sexually instead of splitting, but fairly uncommon

LeviK;321464 said:
Large water changes have been proven to promote reproduction or splitting in nems as a survival tactic
This was starting before I did the water change, I was gone all day so I am unsure of how long before I just noticed it when I went to do the water change

SynDen;321465 said:
They may be spawning. It is possible for nems to spawn sexually instead of splitting, but fairly uncommon
So do you think they are spawning or just pooping at the same time?tank is very cloudy and they are both still producing this white slime.also I noticed they are taking turns it seems like closing completely like when they eat and then opening completely flat

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
SRT43R;321468 said:
So do you think they are spawning or just pooping at the same time?tank is very cloudy and they are both still producing this white slime.also I noticed they are taking turns it seems like closing completely like when they eat and then opening completely flat
Honestly I have never seen it happen, although I havent been in salt that long, but from what you describe and what I have read it sounds like spawning to me. Here is one account of it, and it sounds like you may want to do a water change pretty soon, as the release of the sperm and such into the tank can et up the avaible oxygen in a reef tank which can in turn cause the death of many of the inhabitants. You may also want to add some airstones to help oxygenate the water.

"In March, the bulb-tipped anemones released huge quantities of sperm one night, as they do each year. The next morning, the water looked as if someone had poured milk into it — you could not see the bottom! The fish were breathing rapidly, and several were resting on the bottom. A 50-percent water change was performed immediately, and the incoming water flow was increased. Another air stone was added. Unfortunately, we lost the younger bicolor angel. This occurred for two more nights in a row, but because we left the extra air stones and kept the incoming water flow high, we did not lose more fish. I hate to think what would have happened if this were a closed system.Thus, I tend to discourage people with closed system reef tanks from encouraging a mass spawning of corals, clams or anemones. Unless you can be there when it happens and can predict exactly when it will occur (not impossible, but not easy, either), and unless you can perform massive water changes in a short time, it is a dangerous event to happen in an aquarium."

SynDen;321469 said:
Honestly I have never seen it happen, although I havent been in salt that long, but from what you describe and what I have read it sounds like spawning to me. Here is one account of it, and it sounds like you may want to do a water change pretty soon, as the release of the sperm and such into the tank can et up the avaible oxygen in a reef tank which can in turn cause the death of many of the inhabitants. You may also want to add some airstones to help oxygenate the water.

"In March, the bulb-tipped anemones released huge quantities of sperm one night, as they do each year. The next morning, the water looked as if someone had poured milk into it — you could not see the bottom! The fish were breathing rapidly, and several were resting on the bottom. A 50-percent water change was performed immediately, and the incoming water flow was increased. Another air stone was added. Unfortunately, we lost the younger bicolor angel. This occurred for two more nights in a row, but because we left the extra air stones and kept the incoming water flow high, we did not lose more fish. I hate to think what would have happened if this were a closed system.Thus, I tend to discourage people with closed system reef tanks from encouraging a mass spawning of corals, clams or anemones. Unless you can be there when it happens and can predict exactly when it will occur (not impossible, but not easy, either), and unless you can perform massive water changes in a short time, it is a dangerous event to happen in an aquarium."
thats not what I wanted to read

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Since it is rock nems, this may have less of an impact then large bubble tip nems but I would still keep a close eye on the breathing rates of the inhabitants, if they arent breathing heavy you may be a bit safer, and possibly add airstones and do some large water changes, like 75% worth, several times.
Like I said, I havent actually seen this occur so not 100% sure that is what is occurring but it does sound like it. At least you are around to witness it as it is a fairly rare occurrence, at least more rare then seeing them split, and if you had been out of town during it ...

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So did a bit more looking around about this one and rock nems can only reproduce sexually and do about once a year. Usually tied to lunar cycles and such. In the wild this often occurs around spring time. There are also numerous reports of people spawning them in their tanks. Apparently their release is not nearly as toxic as other nems like bubble tips. And if both nems were doing the same thing then it is very likely that you have a male and female. If babies develop they will show up under the skirts of the parents.
You will want to keep up on filtration and possibly aerate the water a bit more, but as long as othr inhabitants in the tank arent showing signs of rapid breathing you should be good. Here are a few useful threads I came across of others spawning these in their tanks

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/339938-rock-flower-anemone-breeding/
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90348

Last edited by a moderator:
SynDen;321497 said:
So did a bit more looking around about this one and rock nems can only reproduce sexually and do about once a year. Usually tied to lunar cycles and such. In the wild this often occurs around spring time. There are also numerous reports of people spawning them in their tanks. Apparently their release is not nearly as toxic as other nems like bubble tips. And if both nems were doing the same thing then it is very likely that you have a male and female. If babies develop they will show up under the skirts of the parents.
You will want to keep up on filtration and possibly aerate the water a bit more, but as long as othr inhabitants in the tank arent showing signs of rapid breathing you should be good. Here are a few useful threads I came across of others spawning these in their tanks

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/339938-rock-flower-anemone-breeding/
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90348
Thanks for the info man