Anyone run a iwaki md-100rlt

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking to hear actual noise level of iwaki md-100rlt, if you have it running, let me know if I can come check it out. //Dave

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I had a 70 running in my classroom and the key word is had. I felt it was way too loud. I couldn't imagine how loud a 100 would be. Probably be okay on a remote sump but I don't think I would run it under the tank. Just my opinion.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I may have one ill check if I do you can borrow it to test or I have darts also if you want to test them

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a dart under my 150. The tank is located 6 inches from the chair I sit in all evening while reading or watching TV, and the dart is in the stand end closest to where I sit. The dart is almost silent. I hear the skimmer and overflow more than the dart.

I cannot recommend this pump enough, but then again this is based off of only a month or so of owning the setup. I do know this pump ran for a long time at a customer site before I bought the setup used.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
+1 on the Dart. I have to put my hand on it to see if its even running super quiet and is barely warm to the touch.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have one anymore, but the one that I had was about as loud as a Mag 12 or Mag 18. They are not very quiet. If the bearings start to go, they can get really loud. They are a "fish room" type of pump, IMO, which is cool if you are needing to use them for high head. If you are going to use them under a stand, then you can get a LOT quieter pump.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had one. I got rid of it because it was really loud imo and seemed to get much hotter than what i thought should be normal. On the other hand it was used so perhaps like Jda mentioned the bearings were going or something. Not sure what your requirments are but i have a nice reeflo snapper ill give you a really good deal on

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone for your responses. You all said what I wanted to hear... It's loud. I have two pumps, first is a little giant 3 and it pumps about 13 feet up. It's undersized, but running flawlessly for 5+ Years, and is really quiet. I'd like to have a bit more power but that's not the issue. Issue is the second pump, a panworld that is just as powerful as the little giant but is noisy and since it pumps the Etss skimmer and a few reactors, I'm having to fiddle all the time with my skimmer adjustments. My thought was to get a reliable pump for the return, up 13 feet and to run GFO, and carbon reactors while having the little giant dedicated just for the skimmer. I keep reading about reef flows and leaks. Dolphin pumps may be the way, but iwaki is a time and true pump.... But guess the nose is a factor I need to assess how important that is...

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Doc pumps look like they are coming along but have pressure limitations like the mags do. So not an option for my Etss skimmer... Sigh... Never can be perfect I guess.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Diablo DC 10500 and it is as advertised with wattage and head. It is really quiet, but it is submerged. I run about 1200 gph to an upstairs tank (12-13 feet of head), 500 each to a pair of 58G satellite tanks and power my calcium reactor... at about 70 watts. I have no idea about quality... I will check back in 5 years. I have only had it a few months.

Dolphin pumps are the quietest pumps that I have ever used. Reliable too.

If you are in a fish room, then the iwaki will be quiet enough. I just would not use it in a stand next to a bed or in a living room. It is probably no louder than your typical skimmer venturi.. which are far from silent.