Aqua medic aquaspace ocean light

Hello everyone this will be my first post on the forum and am looking forward to learning a lot from you guys. Anyway, I bought a setup off of Craigslist mainly for the tank and stand but it came with an aqua medic ocean light that carries 250x2 and a 150wx1. It seems to have a big box that serves as an external ballast as the light itself is very light. My question is is this light still suitable for corals or should I sell it off and buy something else? Also it is a double ended lamp fixture and a lot of those say the bulb needs an electronic ballast. How do I tell if mine does?

Thanks in advance,
gvin

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those metal halide bulbs will be great for corals. The only issue you may have is heat depending on how close they're mounted to the surface of the water, and whether or not you're using a canopy.

As far as I know, the double-ended bulbs will run fine with either an electronic or magnetic ballast...the "color" they put out tends to shift slightly depending on the ballast type, but there's no harm in running them with either ballast. My setup has a magnetic ballast and runs DE bulbs just fine.

Oh...and WELCOME!!

Thanks for the reply. They came with hanging hardware so i cqn adjust the height based on heat and coral reponse. I know its an older setup but 650 watts seems extreme! At least its going over an open tank so hopefuply i can blow air across to dissapate heqt. I still might sell it in the future and move into a led or t5 setup just for ease of mounting and heat.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm yea I'd say that's going to be plenty of light, lol. I dunno how that fixture is wired/configured, but you could probably get away with just running the 2 250W bulbs if they are on the ends. If the fixture won't fire without all 3 bulbs installed...hang it high. ;)