ATO driving me crazy!

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 29g Biocube with a RKL on it. I have a float switch attached to the RKL that monitors the water in the 3rd chamber and turns a pump on for 10s whenever it is "closed" sits for 30s and checks again. Works great most of the time.

Occasionally, for no apparent reason (as in no snail or other visible reason) the thing goes wacky and keeps filling up. It did it again last night and put an extra quart or so of water in the tank. It will evaporate and didn't screw with the salinity much, but it is worrisome.

An ATO is supposed to put your mind at ease, not worry.

Anybody know of a top notch float switch to be used with an SL1? Any other solutions you can think of?

Thanks in advance.

John

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ATO driving me crazy!

When I had my solana all I used was a float switch from autotopoff.com and it worked flawlessly for many years. I had it hooked up to a little pump in a bucket in the stand with a valve on the end to control the top off flow to a trickle.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Which outlet is your top off pump plugged into? Is it in 1 or 4 (relay outlet), or outlets 2 or 3 (solid state outlets)? If it is a low amp draw pump like an aqua lifter, or similar, it may not draw enough juice to actually turn the solid state outlets off.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the water level in your top off bucket higher than the water level in your sump - or wherever your ATO water comes into the system? Make sure you're not creating a vacuum.

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;234611 said:
When I had my solana all I used was a float switch from autotopoff.com and it worked flawlessly for many years. I had it hooked up to a little pump in a bucket in the stand with a valve on the end to control the top off flow to a trickle.
Do the Autotopoff.com pumps have the connection to the SL1?

FishTV;234627 said:
Which outlet is your top off pump plugged into? Is it in 1 or 4 (relay outlet), or outlets 2 or 3 (solid state outlets)? If it is a low amp draw pump like an aqua lifter, or similar, it may not draw enough juice to actually turn the solid state outlets off.
I originally had it in the wrong outlet. It is now on one of the relay outlets. It actually cycles through it's on/off many times, overfilling the tank.

Munch;234640 said:
Is the water level in your top off bucket higher than the water level in your sump - or wherever your ATO water comes into the system? Make sure you're not creating a vacuum.
The bucket is well below the tank.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
do you only have a sensor for the low state in your tank? It's always a good idea to monitor a high state as well. that would keep the system from continuing to run when the first sensor acts up.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ATO driving me crazy!

FishTV;234627 said:
I had that exact problem with my RKL. I had to plug the aqua lifter into #1 spot.

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
kmellon;234777 said:
do you only have a sensor for the low state in your tank? It's always a good idea to monitor a high state as well. that would keep the system from continuing to run when the first sensor acts up.
I only have 1 sensor. Probably going to need to add a second if I cannot get a handle on this problem.

Blazinjack;234787 said:
I had that exact problem with my RKL. I had to plug the aqua lifter into #1 spot.
So right now, everything is hooked up correctly. The pump (MJ900) is on switch 4. The sensor is in the 3rd chamber and is in the "open" position so the pump is not going. It is just that sometimes it goes a little bonkers. The only change that I made was that I did a water change this weekend. Perhaps I did something to the switch.

Does anyone know if the Autotopoff.com sensors can hook into the SL1?

Thanks, John

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im not too sure, I just have mines hooked up to the float sensors and just a regular outlet, that way it freed up some outlets on my reefkeeper. What are the advantages of hooking it up the the SL1?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
ATO driving me crazy!

opakapaka;234855 said:
Im not too sure, I just have mines hooked up to the float sensors and just a regular outlet, that way it freed up some outlets on my reefkeeper. What are the advantages of hooking it up the the SL1?
Be careful running a float switch without a relay, they are generally not designed to run directly off 115 volts.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It has a built in relay