Ato Siphon

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid a siphon when the auto top off pump kicks on? My last build I avoided it by only filling up the reservoir half way but don't really have that luxury with my current tank.

Any advice is appreciated

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drill a small hole above the ago water line. Or t off and a small valve that just allows a small drip back into the ago and allows a little bit of air in to stop the siphon. I use the hole method for my water change.

My ATO is mounted above the water line preventing any contact or chance of siphoning. it sounds like the tank is peeing once in a while but otherwise good :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ghxst;330708 said:
My ATO is mounted above the water line preventing any contact or chance of siphoning. it sounds like the tank is peeing once in a while but otherwise good :)
+1 yep thats how mine is setup

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;330708 said:
I have the same thing, hose clamped the tube above the water line. Had a small flood first time I turned it on....

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;330708 said:
I'm not getting tank water in the ato reservoir, my pump shuts off and ato water continues to flow into the sump because of the siphon. Think this will help that issue?

Simple... position the end of the ATO tube higher than the highest level the water will ever be in your ATO reservoir (doesn't matter what level your pump is at). At that point put your ATO tube into a larger tube that leads back to your sump (this stops the 'peeing' sound. I've got the end of my 1/4" ATO tube from the ATO pump ending above the water level in the ATO reservoir then it is fed into a 1/2" PVC pipe that goes back down to my sump. The point where the 1/4" tube goes into the 1/2" PVC pipe is open to the air which breaks the siphon. Obviously, there are a lot of variations on this theme.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My current pump doesn't allow for a siphon to occur but my previous one did. All I did was have a tee in the line that was above the level of the ATO and that was enough to break the siphon but be aware that water will come out of the tubing attached to the tee as well.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
AGGJSW;330719 said:
Simple... position the end of the ATO tube higher than the highest level the water will ever be in your ATO reservoir (doesn't matter what level your pump is at). At that point put your ATO tube into a larger tube that leads back to your sump (this stops the 'peeing' sound. I've got the end of my 1/4" ATO tube from the ATO pump ending above the water level in the ATO reservoir then it is fed into a 1/2" PVC pipe that goes back down to my sump. The point where the 1/4" tube goes into the 1/2" PVC pipe is open to the air which breaks the siphon. Obviously, there are a lot of variations on this theme.
This makes sense, ill give it a try!

Thanks for the advice everyone

Oh I see, my reservoir is a 5g bucket on the side and it goes up 5ft to my display (sumpless nano). yeah what he said, just keep the reservoir lower.