Ballast failing?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Soooo. Noticed this week that one of my sets of T5s wasn't coming on. Cycled the power and it fired up. Plugged into a RKL so switched outlets to see if it was the powerstrip. Same issue. Now it is turning off midday. But if I cycle the power it comes back on. Icecap 660 going south?

Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old is the bulb?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Three T5s on that ballast. Bulbs are 6 months. No idea the actual age of the ballast.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since it's about time to change the bulbs anyway, I would try swapping all three first. If you get the same behavior, then your ballast is going out.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The icecap 660 is also designed more for T12 VHO bulbs and do overdrive T5 bulbs that could be playing into it somehow but I doubt it.

if you want one of the best T5 ballasts out there as a replacement, the Phillips Advance ICN-2S54 is excellent and will not overdrive the bulb but give equal output.

They are about $40 on Amazon with free shipping.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmmmm. I have 2, each pushing 3 80W bulbs. They've been on there for at least 3 years with no issues. Replace bulbs every 9 months. Looks like the Phillips drives 2 54W bulbs. Have to see if they have a bigger one

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That shows 54W still. I checked their spec sheet and it looks like the only one they make that fires an 80W bulb is only for single bulbs. So I would need 3 and have to rewire each and then figure out how to get them all on the same channel....

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
fiji4118;360028 said:
That shows 54W still. I checked their spec sheet and it looks like the only one they make that fires an 80W bulb is only for single bulbs. So I would need 3 and have to rewire each and then figure out how to get them all on the same channel....
My bad! Missed the 80W you posted

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Swapped all the bulbs and now it won't stay on no matter what I do. They start to come on and then turn back off every time.