Batman's 35g Semi-Cube/Sort of AIO

I've always liked the simplicity of all in one systems such as Nanocubes or Aquapods. I especially enjoy the seamless construction with everything hidden by the canopy and fuge/return area. The only issue I have with them is how much water volume the false back takes away from the display...... Hence my sort of AIO cube. Before we moved to Colorado this is how I dreamed of building my stand and canopy. Now my dreams have come to fruition.

The setup is really simple; 35g display, 10g sump, led or t5s (to be determined), Koralia 1 & 2, return pump (to be determined). I plan on painting the tank back black to disguise the plumbing and cords.

View attachment 7517

Obviously a work in progress :)

I finally got all of the surfaces skinned. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to cut in the doors and trim it out tomorrow. Painting next weekend.

[attachment=61855:name]

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good job. That looks great.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
+1 looks awesome!!!! Is that MDF or particle board? How are you going to finish it?

It's MDF. I am going to coat it in thick black oil based paint; top to bottom. The MDF kind of scares me because it soaks up water like a sponge, but it is the most affordable way to achieve a glassy finish.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They make a product called kwickseal at hd in the tile isle that is used to seal out water behind shower walls, it should work very well too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MSwift;174602 said:
Wow looks like a fun project! What color are you going to make the stand/canopy
I'm thinking all black; inside and out. I'm debating if I want to do it flat or put a few coats of clear on it. A nice glossy stand/canopy is what I aim for though.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BATMAN;174648 said:
I'm thinking all black; inside and out. I'm debating if I want to do it flat or put a few coats of clear on it. A nice glossy stand/canopy is what I aim for though.
IMO, I'd pick a paint gloss that fits what you're looking to accomplish (flat vs high-gloss), and putting a few coats of clear coat over your paint no matter what. Besides helping to protect the finish, the clear coat will definitely help "even out" the appearance of the black paint, which can appear fairly blotchy depending upon the light that's hitting it...no matter how hard you try to get nice even coats. The effect is somewhat lessened with a quality gun (not that you'd necessarily be using one here)...but I've never been able to get an even finish with black paint unless I added a couple layers of clear.

Awesome build...can't wait to see it all finished up.