Battery Backup UPS? Good idea?

rjl45

Clown Fish
Is a battery backup a good idea? If yes, what would you recommended? I have a 29 gal cube, so power demands are not as significant as the larger setups. I'm very curious what the long term experts have done and what you might recommend. Power outages aren't very common, but I imagine it could be disastrous if not prepared. Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most definitely, especially if you have a controller (apex, RK, profilux, etc.) that can alert you and change what is on and what is off during a power outage. If I had one on my 125 when my GFCI tripped my tank offline, it would have saved me from a nearly complete tank crash.

On my current system (29 biocube), I run a cyberpower 1500VA, 900W UPS that only powers my apex and one jebao powerhead at 40% constant. I also run a smaller 450VA UPS for my router (since they are in two different locations). This will maintain aeration in the tank for approximately 18 hours and will send me an email if power is ever lost.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The problem with battery backups is that they are not designed for as much electricity as our tanks demand.

If I were to do it it would only be so my apex could alarm me.

On my big build I got tunze turbelles for my power head and I will connect them to essentially a car battery and only have that circulation.

It is surprising how much a tank can last just with circulation. Depending on how cold the tank got but even then corals and fish can last a decent amount of time in cooler Temps. A lot longer than warm.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;366071 said:
It is surprising how much a tank can last just with circulation. Depending on how cold the tank got but even then corals and fish can last a decent amount of time in cooler Temps. A lot longer than warm.
+1 to this. I once had a power strip fail and cut heat to my tank, but my return and powerheads were still running. Tank got down to 71 degrees and didn't lose a single fish or coral. The SPS were very angry for about a week, but everything bounced back just fine.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FYI, it's cheaper at best buy. I got the same one (a slightly older model with a couple less features) for $150

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
We had a battery backup on our system for short term outages, and a generator to back up the battery backup for long term outages. They're lifesavers. Just run the bare bones stuff on it, and it'll last longer.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FYI - Battery Backups that you buy for computers will not work on most AC pumps - there is a sine wave problem with the electricity or something like that. Google it and you will see what I mean...

Shawn

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;366105 said:
FYI - Battery Backups that you buy for computers will not work on most AC pumps - there is a sine wave problem with the electricity or something like that. Google it and you will see what I mean...

Shawn
It's not really an issue with most that are marketed as "pure sine wave" such as the one he linked above. The issue many of the cheaper UPS systems use a 4 step wave that generate a lot of 3rd and 5th harmonics, which heat up motors a lot, but don't provide any actual power to the motor. Better quality UPS systems use an 8 or 12 step inverter that eliminates third harmonics and has small levels of 7th and 9th (8 step) or 11th and 13th (12 step)

rjl45

Clown Fish
I've been reading up on the sine wave issue, and it still can be a problem depending on the pump. Another idea that I have come across is a simple battery powered air pump bubbler system to keep the air exchange going. It's a manual setup but might be a economical solution.
Not sure I like that, kind of wanted an automated system, in case the power cut out 30 minutes after I left for work and stayed off all day...would really hate to come home to a stagnant system wish fish suffocating.
Follow up question... how long do you all think a 29 gallon cube could sit stagnant before the fish run out of oxygen? I've been told it can go a few hours without any problems.curious what the community here has to say. Thanks again for all the feedback!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Regardless of the pump, if it is an 8 pulse or higher inverter, it isn't an issue since the heating issue lies in 3rd harmonics with a THD above 10%.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rjl45;366124 said:
I've been reading up on the sine wave issue, and it still can be a problem depending on the pump. Another idea that I have come across is a simple battery powered air pump bubbler system to keep the air exchange going. It's a manual setup but might be a economical solution.
Not sure I like that, kind of wanted an automated system, in case the power cut out 30 minutes after I left for work and stayed off all day...would really hate to come home to a stagnant system wish fish suffocating.
Follow up question... how long do you all think a 29 gallon cube could sit stagnant before the fish run out of oxygen? I've been told it can go a few hours without any problems.curious what the community here has to say. Thanks again for all the feedback!
Just for a reference, I had a 40g cube running a HOB filter for QT that I forgot to plug in after a late night feeding. I think there were 3 smallish tangs ( < 3") and a fire fish. All dead in the morning after 8 hours without circulation save the purple tang who showed a gasp of breath just before I was going to throw him away. I was able to revive him, but he seems to have some brain damage now based on my assessment of his swimming behavior (very repetitive looping swim in the short end of the tank) - although I am no fish behavioral expert by any means.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just one thing to add. About using your controller to alert during a power outage. That is not going to happen unless you also have your router on a backup as well. This is of course is unless your controller has an SMS module which is cellular. I could be wrong but the last time I checked only only GHL offered an SMS module for its reef controller.

i don't think apex has one and I know. DA dosnt have one. Not a big deal just be sure your computer/and router are backed up as well.

Walter White;366158 said:
Just one thing to add. About using your controller to alert during a power outage. That is not going to happen unless you also have your router on a backup as well. This is of course is unless your controller has an SMS module which is cellular. I could be wrong but the last time I checked only only GHL offered an SMS module for its reef controller.

i don't think apex has one and I know. DA dosnt have one. Not a big deal just be sure your computer/and router are backed up as well.
Will the apex app notify if it loses connection with the controller? That may be a less reliable indicator but it is some form of indication that there may be an issue.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Scobra;366162 said:
Will the apex app notify if it loses connection with the controller? That may be a less reliable indicator but it is some form of indication that there may be an issue.
No. There is a service that I can't think of the name that pings your apex and if it's offline for a certain amount of time it will message you

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;366158 said:

That is correct. Granted the power draw of a router only needs like a 450VA UPS to run for like 18 hours.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Scobra;366162 said:
Nope. The only way to do that at this time is to use Reeftronics, which requires you to set up port forwarding on your router (pretty simple to do) and set up an account on Reeftronics with open xml enabled.