Best 7-bulb T5 Combination for pop, blue and growth

So I picked up a very nice Constellation 7-bulb 48" fixture very inexpensively - researched on some other websites and found one or two recommendations for bulbs and configuration - it's slightly complicated for me due to the fact that instead of just two different banks of lights coming on like my last fixture (I had 4 blue bulbs and 4 white ones and never knew what the heck they were, lol, or cared. They just worked), this box has 3 different banks and switches. I would like the first bank of 2 to come on in the morning with a sort of deep blue to give everything a chance to wake slowly. Then I assume the sort of daylight bulb should come on? This is a bank of 3. And finally a last bank of 2 comes on - more blue?

What I bought was based on a recommendation on a website:

7 lamp Aquactinics fixture

1. Blue
  2. Actinic White
  3. Blue
  4. ATI Purple Plus or Fiji Purple
  5. Blue
  6. GE Daylight
  7. Blue
This was my favorite mix when I had the Constellation fixture. Lamps 3&5 came on first for Dusk/Dawn, then lamps 1, 4 and 7 which gives a brighter blue look but still subdued and 2 and 6 for midday.

Here is what I bought based on this:

1. ATI Blue+
  2. ATI True Actinic 03
  3. ATI Blue+
  4. ATI Purple Plus
  5. ATI Blue+
  6. Wave Point Sunwave 12k (this was the only daylight one I could find on the same website to order with these)
  7. ATI Blue+

The problem is when all the lights are on, it just seems white to my eyes with a hint of blue. Which one or two of these can I trade out and what would you recommend I trade them for? Do I really need the daylight bulb or the True Actinic for coral growth? Do you think those are washing it out even though I am running a lot of blue already? I am getting some fluorescence and things like BamBams show pop and look as good as under my LED's so I know I am doing something right, but would like to tune this better - more blue, more pop. Should Any suggestions (about T5's, lol) would be helpful. Thanks!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I cannot remember his name or where to find the thread so Im hoping smeone can chime in here, but there is already a great write up on bulb combinations and such by one of our members.

Lol that's where i got my original combination listed above. I keep thinking i will just take out the sunwave 12k but afraid the corals will then be missing some valuable spectrum they don't get with another blue. And afraid even if i add led supplentation that bulb will wipe its blue effect out.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol, yea after I actually read the info in the link I realized it was pretty much identical :p

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Good_GReef;277756 said:
Lol that's where i got my original combination listed above. I keep thinking i will just take out the sunwave 12k but afraid the corals will then be missing some valuable spectrum they don't get with another blue. And afraid even if i add led supplentation that bulb will wipe its blue effect out.
The 12K may be nessecary to hit the red / yellow / orange spectrum which is essential for photsynthasis (sp?). The current list you have is only going to hit the blue / purple spectrum if you take that 12K out

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe replace the 12k daylight with an ATI Aquablue special? You will get a more crisp blue than the 12k actinic, and if you look at the graph it has some nice spikes in the green and red spectrums.

I have a 4 bulb fixture that I'm trying to decide on bulbs for...don't want to derail your thread with my potential combo, but that aquablue special is on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
THanks Jahmic - good idea - and then even if I don't like it, I can always play with the placement

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know that Grimm Reefer occasionally pops into this site since he is local. He used to be the expert on T5s on the reefcentral site but now he mostly does LEDs. Last time I spoke with him on my set up he recommended (front to back) ATI blue +, purple +, coral +, GE 6500K, blue +, blue +.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Change the 12K to a Blue + if you like the blue look, IMO.

I have run t5 over my 55 for some time with great success. the lighting I liked best was (3)ATI Blue + and one ATI purple +