Brie's pro-style apartment build

So I figured I would start a build thread for my new system. It'd be nice to have reefers to bounce ideas off of. :D

Here's the idea: (not to scale of course)

The system will have a 40b display, 20l frag tank, 29g sump and at least a 10g ato reservoir (tanks arrive Friday!). I'm trying to light the entire thing with leds. Maybe an AI Vega for the display and a Kessil a150w for the frag tank. I do intend to plumb all of these together, I am debating plumbing the frag tank to the display instead of the sump. I have a dj powerstrip so I will be using that and forgoing the controllers for now. All electronics will be on a shelf under the tanks and hopefully be safe from any leaks. The bottom of the stand will also be sealed so that it can hold water in case of an overflow from the sump. Oh and I will add a cover for the bottom eventually.

I am thinking of going with an eshopps or a vertex skimmer, I would love to hear suggestions or comments on either variety. Also, does anyone local have diamond-coated hole saws that I could buy or borrow? I would like to go with a couple custom overflow boxes so suggestions on a good acrylic builder would be appreciated. Lastly, I am considering trying ProdiBio products as an experiment when I finally get everything built.

Shopping list:
3x Mp10
1x AI Vega
1x Kessil a150w
Skimmer?
Return Pump?
Glass baffles
Overflow boxes + plumbing supplies

Livestock that I like (I have experience with animals requiring expert care, btw):
Haddoni Carpet Anemone (obviously this is a big maybe and I would stock around it)
Clarkii Clowns
Pipefish
Dragonets
Firefish
Flasher wrasses
Chromis
Gobiessssss
SPS Corals
Macro Algae
Non-photosynthetic corals
LPS Corals
Zoanthids
Sexy Shrimp
Pom pom crabs
Anemone Crabs

So yeah, lots of work and lots to consider on stocking. Thoughts, comments and critiques are encouraged! :D

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Do you want something more custom than www.GlassHoles.com stuff, for the overflow setup?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you want anything custom dvenson on the forum does good work. Aquatic art has at least 1 large frag tank he built. I am using him for my next build, he has been very good about communicating and has very reasonable prices. IMO

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;197377 said:
If you want anything custom dvenson on the forum does good work. Aquatic art has at least 1 large frag tank he built. I am using him for my next build, he has been very good about communicating and has very reasonable prices. IMO
+1 great guy to go to for anything acrylic

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Slowly but surely, I am getting this project under way. The stand is pretty much done at this point. Gotta paint the tanks and get my hole saws and overflow boxes ordered. Plumbing is designed finally too. Quite the process!

Here's the stand, gotta fix a few things since the floor of the garage is definitely not level and a few things don't line up. :<

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lookin good!! Like the Rubi in the background too... Hit any trails here in Colorado yet?

Not the best picture but at least things are in my apartment and they fit where they need to go!

Blazinjack, that's actually my father's Rubicon. I was borrowing their garage since I live in an apartment downtown. He's taken it out a few times, hasn't even gotten stuck yet but I'm waiting for that phone call.

Thanks, I certainly hope so! Since I haven't found a better spot, it looks like my rotifer/phyto/shrimp tanks will be going on the adjacent wall. I'm hoping I can keep them small and avoid the "ew what's that green stuff" conversation with everyone that comes over. Haha.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
lol.i a good way?????? yes thats exactly what i was thinking. the wife isn't but she always likes the end point. what are you going to stock your display with? are you going to add a refugium any where? you can find some pretty sick macro's that would look awesome in your system. After looking at your plan again, i think it would look awesome with no doors too. IMO. LET THE FILTRATION SHOW EXACTLY WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THAT DISPLAY SHINE

static reef;210591 said:
lol.i a good way?????? yes thats exactly what i was thinking. the wife isn't but she always likes the end point. what are you going to stock your display with? are you going to add a refugium any where? you can find some pretty sick macro's that would look awesome in your system. After looking at your plan again, i think it would look awesome with no doors too. IMO. LET THE FILTRATION SHOW EXACTLY WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THAT DISPLAY SHINE
I'm not sure what the display will be stocked with yet. It will probably be a mixed reef of some sort. I get new ideas every time I go through lists for orders at the shop. Haha. Maybe a vampire goby, some firefish, a nice wrasse, who knows. I definitely want to get some sps in there, I've been wanting a Haddoni Carpet Anemone but I may save that for a larger build down the road.

I will have a refugium in the sump and I'll have some chaeto down there, maybe a deep sand bed too. I have been tossing around the idea of building an ats but I'm not sure I need it since my tanks usually run fairly clean and I'd like to have a few types of macros in the display. (Although, I am considering a low tech macro tank as a separate build. Would make a nice experiment tank for some more difficult animals.)

Oh and no doors are planned for the stand, maybe curtains or something similar though.

Any one have a suggestion for a skimmer?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brie's pro-style apartment build

cadre;213925 said:
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, my car broke down so it would appear I will not be cycling the system this month after all. :(
What happened? What kind of car?

Blazinjack;213935 said:
What happened? What kind of car?
I have a 1987 BMW 325i and the throwout bearing went out. So I will be getting that and the clutch replaced. Previous owner gave me records indicating the engine was rebuilt less than 100k miles ago so I have no idea why they didn't replace the bearing then. It's a bit frustrating to say the least. I may be looking into picking up a work truck sooner than I had planned. I'd do the work myself but I no longer have the tools (or time).