Breaker tripping

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright so my tank is stuck in the garage again. I have a 4 car garage and all outlets are tied to one 15amp breaker. Of course with all the misc. stuff in a garage being plugged in, either in use or waiting to be used the breaker trips pretty often without the tank running. I’m able to use the gyres, return, 3 heaters and ATO but now I can’t use a vacuum or really anything else.
Here’s my questions, I have a 220 outlet tied to a 30amp breaker. Could I use a 220-110 converter to run my 16 outlet apex? Essentially running most the tank on the 30 amp breaker (or 15amp if what I’m reading says the converters have their own 15amp breaker)

Any help at all on what I can do here is appreciated. My wife is set to be induced on the 23rd and I’d like to have this tank up and cycling before the new kiddo shows up and My free time/sleep is non existent.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
@Diddle822 is a good electrician, he can likely answer that. I can ping him on fb for you if no one else is around to answer

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Are there empty spots on your breaker panel? It wouldn't be crazy expensive to add a 30A just for the aquarium. Then if the aquarium ever left the garage you'd just be left with more outlets....and who doesn't need more outlets in a garage?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are there empty spots on your breaker panel? It wouldn't be crazy expensive to add a 30A just for the aquarium. Then if the aquarium ever left the garage you'd just be left with more outlets....and who doesn't need more outlets in a garage?
I have one left open, I’ve researched it and yeah doesn’t seem to expensive but wiring outlets too? I have no idea but with the kiddo about to be here I’d be living on the street if I spent money on doing that and not some cute clothes or a bottle haha.

Spieg

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can convert 220 to 110. Have you considered converting the existing circuit from 15 to 20 amp? If your breaker box is close to the outlets, then it shouldn't take much wire and you can usually reuse the same outlets.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can convert 220 to 110. Have you considered converting the existing circuit from 15 to 20 amp? If your breaker box is close to the outlets, then it shouldn't take much wire and you can usually reuse the same outlets.
yeah I’d use a $30
220-110 converter just want to make sure it’ll be safe. The 15amp supplies 6 different outlets throughout the entire garage so sadly not close. However the 220 is directly under the panel, I will need probably a 10-15ft extension cord over to the tank which I’m sure will play a factor. I wish I had a lot more knowledge in this department

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most modern garage have GFCI, which trip easier. You can wire a 20amp right out the side of your box into the wall on a regular breaker... should be less than $20 in materials for breaker, box, wire and outlet(s) if you have any skill. I would not go larger than 20amp with 110 unless you can find outlets rated for it. 15 amp outlets can melt on a 20 or 30 amp breaker especially if they are in series.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most modern garage have GFCI, which trip easier. You can wire a 20amp right out the side of your box into the wall on a regular breaker... should be less than $20 in materials for breaker, box, wire and outlet(s) if you have any skill. I would not go larger than 20amp with 110 unless you can find outlets rated for it. 15 amp outlets can melt on a 20 or 30 amp breaker especially if they are in series.
sadly it’s the breaker tripping not the gfci. I’d say 9/10 trips are breaker. And sadly I got no skill haha. I know to keep a hand in my pocket but been shocked so many times I don’t mess around anymore.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Woke up this morning to the breaker tripped. 150
Was down to 68 and no clue what the 20g was at holding some of my coral and a chromis. Couldn’t find him. Seeing as I’m no way comfortable installing a new breaker and still not sure if converting 220 down to 110 is safe to power a tank. if I can’t find a cheapish answer to fix the issue. I’m going to be getting out of the hobby for awhile. I can pay someone in alcohol or cash if they are willing to install a breaker in Windsor. Hopefully not too expensive.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also have a nice almost 3x3 frag of cb flaming Bugatti. It’s lost its color and turned orange in the move but is slowly getting back it’s purple. I’d trade that for the work if I could get a 2-3 eye frag back down the road, It would barely put a dent in it.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
110v/15a outlet can be added pulling power from 220 outlet.

I have 15a electric wire, outlet, junction box, and faceplate that I can donate. I think you would just need a 15a breaker and someone to help with the work. It's an easy job, but I'm not a licensed electrician.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just curious, does the circuit you are having issues with have a GFCI protected outlet, or is it a GFCI circuit breaker?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just curious, does the circuit you are having issues with have a GFCI protected outlet, or is it a GFCI circuit breaker?
I think I’m going to convert the 220/30amp breaker to a 20amp and outlet to a 110v. See how it goes...
One of the outlets does have a gfci, it’s tripped once but other then that it’s always the breaker that blows.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Can you run a cord from house for some extra power in the meantime?
I found a neighbor who is willing to install a 20amp 110 outlet below the breaker box this Saturday morning. As of now the breaker is holding though.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That's good to hear. Get that in just before the brunt of the storm.