calcium reactor

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use one on every tank that I have. The only con is the initial cost, IMO. The pros are balanced calcium and alk, other trace minerals that come from dissolved coral skeletons (strontium, magnesium, etc. that people don't dose in 2 part). Reliable and easy - I just give mine a once-over every few weeks or a month to check for bubbles and if I still have enough media. I would never run a tank without one unless it was REALLY small and I didn't have any true coral.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Yep I love them as well though I generally set the cutoff in size around 100g or more, anything under unless it is heavy SPS can easily be done with dosing but requires more work once you get over this size they are easily less work than dosing is in the long run. My routine on maintenance is about the same as jdas and the only thing I would add in is make sure you spend the time at the begining to calibate the unit properly. Weekly Alk tests are also a must with either system.

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
It has a lot of calcium dependent plants, keeping calcium levels up has been tricky and I am wanting to get a clam so I think seting up a calcium reactor would be worth while

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How much do you dose? In my 125 gallon, I dosed 100-200 ml (0.5-1 dkH) per day of alk and I set my calcium reactor at 6.6 ph instead of 6.5 ph (recommended) at 30 drops per minute. With most calcium reactors, you cant reduce the output much lower than I have mine set currently. If you arent dosing a at least 0.5 dkH per day, I would avoid a calcium reactor altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: