Canopy fans

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I really want to add two fans on to each end of my canopy, that are mounted on the back brace and angle in slightly but that would then blow air across both ends of my T5 fixture to keep it cool. Want something that is basically the size of a large computer fan and that is fairly silent. Thought about just buying some large computer fans and maybe wiring them to a cord so I could just plug them in, but I am no electrical expert and not sure how safe that would or which kind of cord to use for that. Or maybe there is a better option out there that is something similar but already wired to plug in? Anyone have any suggestions on where to find these, or should I just go to micro center for the fans and home depot for a cord I can splice in?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just get a fan that is ready for 120v. Wired or not they are easy to install. Otherwise you will need to match a driver to the fan, PITA.

V

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Have seen some vids of people using an old cellphone charger cable and wiring it to two fans. Looks like a possible option but not sure how safe it is.
Wish I had an old computer power supply laying around cause that would work perfect but I have gotten rid of most of mine and the last one was blown out by lightening

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Rapid LED has some fan kits that are pretty good. They usually have good instructions available on the site. Maybe worth checking out. Otherwise, I'm with fishguy, buy some fans already wired up. Electricity is nothing to mess with if you're not confident in the results. Especially near your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just went to micro center and got two 12v ceramic bearing pc fans for my canopy. They also sell a 12v power supply that just hooks directly into the four pin connector that comes off the PC fans. Easy to make yourself but even easier to buy it from micro center they have everything you need to go either way.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ThunderTwonk;300386 said:
I just went to micro center and got two 12v ceramic bearing pc fans for my canopy. They also sell a 12v power supply that just hooks directly into the four pin connector that comes off the PC fans. Easy to make yourself but even easier to buy it from micro center they have everything you need to go either way.
Nice, that would be perfect, I will have to go check it out this weekend then