Cheap Ebay MH Bulbs

I have the 14k Phoenix in their now. I'm not really sure how much run time they have... I was going to get a brand new set so I know the run time on the bulbs going forward. Not sure if my logic is sound lol.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds valid. Just don't skimp on your bulb like those ebay bulbs. Phoenix's last 9 months consistently. Those oddsea bulbs might last 6 months. I will let JDA pop in here when he gets on but for 250w DE MH 14k phoenix cant be beat. Just replace them with the same bulb.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can run 14K Phoenix for 24 months without much loss and no spectrum shift. They look nearly identical to 20K radium on HQI ballasts - in a a blind taste test, I doubt that many could tell.

The eBay bulbs are terrible. They get some good review, but look who the reviews are from... mostly noobs and people with one post on a board to hype up the new bulb. You won't find too many experienced reefers who will give them a good review for other than a fish-only tank.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;282938 said:
You can run 14K Phoenix for 24 months without much loss and no spectrum shift.

Good to know :) PS JDA I absolutely love your suggestion on the bulbs. I am getting great growth and color.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;282938 said:
You can run 14K Phoenix for 24 months without much loss and no spectrum shift. They look nearly identical to 20K radium on HQI ballasts - in a a blind taste test, I doubt that many could tell.

The eBay bulbs are terrible. They get some good review, but look who the reviews are from... mostly noobs and people with one post on a board to hype up the new bulb. You won't find too many experienced reefers who will give them a good review for other than a fish-only tank.
but there is one person or should i say animal that knows the difference YOUR CORALS!!!!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
kutcha;282943 said:
but there is one person or should i say animal that knows the difference YOUR CORALS!!!!
True. Most everybody who has had good combos of both will tell you that the 14K Phoenix on M80 will grow and color coral slightly better than 400W Radium on M59. However, the reflectors on most the DE stuff don't spread very well, so the SE 250 or 400W radium is still a better all-around MH setup for lots of tanks. The typical HQI setup can easily handle a 2x2x2 area, but struggles beyond that in the a fixture like an AquaMedic or Giesmann.

This is why 250W radiums have started to be run on M80 and 400W radium on 400W HQI ballasts (forgot the ANSI code), where they are about equal to the 250W HQI Phoenix for output (the color is different, but AWESOME), but can also be used in LumenMax, LumerArc, Cayman, or the like, reflectors... so a great combo.

I love them both. I will likely never sell my DE or SE setups since I don't think that there is any kind of a replacement for either.