Coralife Biocube 29g - LED upgrade step by step with pics

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I posted this in Nano Reefs and thought I would post over here. I decided to upgrade my Biocube to LEDs and settled on Steve's LEDs.

OK,

I could not find any step by step upgrades with pics so I thought I would start one. Here is my upgrade from the tear down to the first lighting (hopefully).

My kit was modified to have the following:

16 Royal Blue
5 Cool Blue
7 4K White

Here is my layout on the heatsink:

Here is the hood tear down:
1) Remove the splash guard & bulbs

2) Remove all screws

3) All parts removed

4) Cover after removal

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are the 4 points that you will mount the heatsink on.

NOTE: They are not evenly spaced! I created a template from this and drilled in the bottom of my heatsink!

5) Next step is to mount the fan

6) Next you need to drill the holes in the heatsink to match up with the 4 posts in the hood. I did not take a picture, but you will see them in the next series where I mounted the LEDs.

7) Glue your LEDs down ONE AT A TIME! Directions say to use a dab of glue the size of the LED. Here is a close up.

8) Press them down HARD, twisting them so that you see the glue seep out the edges.

Here is a photo of them all glued down. Tomorrow I solder, mount and hook up the power!

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
9) I needed to tin each LED pad with about 1.5" of solder creating a 2mm pad. I used a 25w soldering iron for all soldering.

NOTE: I am not an EE so please excuse the poor soldering :D

10) I then soldered a bare wire from the + on one pad to the - on the next pad creating 4 7 LED arrays. I attached a lead at both ends of the array, one on the + and one on the -. This step took a LOT of time since I am not an experienced solderer.

Here is the completed arrays

11) I mounted the 2 Dual Digital Drivers to the heat sink. I WISH THE INSTRUCTIONS HAD ME DO THIS BEFORE MOUNTING AND SOLDERING THE LEDs!

12) Next, I tinned the leads on the Potentiometers and attached wires. Then wired them into the drivers per the instructions

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
13) I then wired up the power supply and the drivers

14) PER THE INSTRUCTIONS I tested each array independantly before I turned them all on. This pic is with all 4 arrays lit.

15) Next step is to mount in the hood. On my Biocube, the Coralife version, 2 of the mouting posts are shorter than the other 2. I decided to get some nylon washers to use as spacers and some finishing washers to clean up the top of the heatsink. Finally I tossed the screws Steve's supplied and bought some #6 2" stainless screws to use.

16) I also used a dremmel to open up the fan vent more (but didn't take a picture, sorry!)

17) I installed the optional moonlight kit and the transformer mounts nicely

18) Now to put the cover back on, but WAIT, it doesn't fit! There is a ridge midway back that has to be cut in order to install over the fan! You will HAVE TO CUT THIS FIN IN ORDER TO REINSTALL THE SPLASH GUARD!

19) Not it fits!

20) Make sure to run the power cords through the original holes.

21) I mounted to potentiometers through the hood. I used a 5/16 bit to drill the holes

Here is a shot of the night lights. I mounted them in between the rows of LEDs. Hopefully there won't be too much heat during the light cycle.

Shot of the tank with night lights

I will post tank pictures when the lights go on.

My husband recently gave me the 95% done kit and while it took a few hours to install, it went fairly smoothly (until he asked me to help. In short I was able to break an important piece. Steve's replaced it very quickly though). I'm really quite happy with the results.

Your write up is awesome and your tank looks great.

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some before and after shots. Note that I have the Royal Blues on one dimmer and the 4K and Cool Blues on another. I have them both at about 40% and have not mixed too much yet.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

I love the shimmer effect that the LEDs have. I am VERY happy with the upgrade!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Coralife Biocube 29g - LED upgrade step by step with pics

Great write up; I had been considering replacing the actinic PC bulbs in my hood with LEDs to supplement my halide... this helps a ton.

Did we happen to cross paths at About Fish recently? I think last time I was in there someone was chatting with Marc about putting this kit in their cube...

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

jpc763;214330 said:
10) I then soldered a bare wire from the + on one pad to the - on the next pad creating 4 7 LED arrays. I attached a lead at both ends of the array, one on the + and one on the -. This step took a LOT of time since I am not an experienced solderer.

wondering why you use bare wires? wouldn't that makes it easier to short the LEDs.

HI ,
I know im on the wrong post ..
Saw you were online , trying to write a post as my tank is crashing , asking for advice.
However , not sure how to post a message on the board .
Where do i go to do so ?
thanks
art

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member

Smiley;214333 said:
damn nice job.... great mod write up! What was the total cost of materials?
Thank you very much!

The kit cost just over $300 including the night lights, 3 extra LEDs (spares) and shipping. I then spent less that $10 on small parts.

I did put 10 - 15 hours into the upgrade.

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member

ailachami;214370 said:
wondering why you use bare wires? wouldn't that makes it easier to short the LEDs.
Had I cut the wire and stripped each end, there might have been a quarter inch not exposed. There is little chance for a short to occur.

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member

jahmic;214349 said:
Great write up; I had been considering replacing the actinic PC bulbs in my hood with LEDs to supplement my halide... this helps a ton.

Did we happen to cross paths at About Fish recently? I think last time I was in there someone was chatting with Marc about putting this kit in their cube...
No, not me. Sorry.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice writeup, reminds me of my own swap. How is the color blending and coverage?

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;214467 said:
Nice writeup, reminds me of my own swap. How is the color blending and coverage?
Thanks!

Colors look great. There is no disco going on at all. With individual control over the Royal Blue and the White/Cool Blue I can change the color. The recommendation is to use the lights at less than half power for a few weeks to let the coral acclimate. After that, I can mess around with the power and the color. I have noticed some great extension on my LPS since changing to LEDs!

John

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
Is it worth Doing the cool blues? I have three dimmable meanwell drivers and was thinking about 8 whites 8 royal blues and 8 cool blues for my 34 gal. Based on your lights what do you think?

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
fc_reefer;214808 said:
Is it worth Doing the cool blues? I have three dimmable meanwell drivers and was thinking about 8 whites 8 royal blues and 8 cool blues for my 34 gal. Based on your lights what do you think?
I am not sure yet. I am still running them low power to acclimate the corals. I am probably running at 30% because when I was running 50% I started seeing some bleaching.

J