Cracked glass on fuge HELP!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I now know why it is a bad idea to put a huge investment like a reef in a classroom. The glass around my return bulkhead is cracked in not one but two places. I am guessing that one of the kids kicked the plumbing trying to look in the side. There was some salt creep coming out of the cracks and that is why I noticed it. How can I fix this? Should I scrap the extra space use the existing 55 as the sump and fuge or replace the fuge with another similar one? Here are some pics of the cracks and set up. Where is a reef doctor when I need one? View attachment 13569 View attachment 13570 View attachment 13571

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What should I do until I can fix it? I know the vibration from the pump is making it worse. Do I shut down my overflows until I can tear it down?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Cracked glass on fuge HELP!

Can you take the cracked sump out and pipe the 55 to the return pump? Looks like you have unions so might not be to bad. So long as you have powerheads and have 1 or 2 create surface agitation while you do that, you should be fine. Then be on the hunt for a new five, maybe a gray Rubbermaid trough might be best for your environment price wise and safety wise.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Glass is totally out once I figure out the short term fix.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I knew I needed to clean my sump but this is ridiculous!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What about heat until I fix it? Just drop some in the DT or rely on the lights?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

If heaters are in cracked fuge, yes I would put them into the DT. Sure this is a no brainer, but If they are glass, just make sure they are secure and can't flap around against DT glass from current.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think I am going to risk leaving it tonight and deal with it tomorrow. The glass is held in place by the bulkhead, the pump, and tank frame. Is this crazy talk or does that seem reasonable?

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
When my sump/fuge cracked, I used a large rubbermaid tub until I could have a new one made. I did not have bulkheads plumbed however.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Just make sure if sump fails and pump stops for some reason your returns can't siphon a ton of water just make sure they are at same height as overflow

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I only have them about 1-2 in. below the boxes in the first place. I got the parts to pull it in the AM.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking at the pictures, it looks like the crack is in the fuge, not the sump, and you have PVC going from the sump --> Fuge, and fuge --> sump. These joints/unions, also look like you can disconnect them pretty easily.

I also see the heaters in the sump, not the fuge, and it also looks like the overflow goes into the sump, and the pump returns the water from the sump too. If all of this is true, looking at your hardwood floor, I would think you could pull the fuge out pretty easily, and throw some end caps on the sump for now. Then you could build a new fuge as time permits.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I will be pulling the fuge tomorrow capping one of the unions from sump to fuge and running a new line to the pump. I know I will lose some volume but I might just leave it and add my mud and chaeto to the sump.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It will give me more room for the inevitable chiller install under the stand. The tinkering never ends.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Crisis averted! Removed the 30 and was able to get it all to fit in the 55. Lost a little volume, but all went well. The mud in the fuge clouded the water for a brief time but was clear when I left. Thanks for all the support guys.