Denver Skyline Photos

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I decided to try my hand at a coupe skyline photos. Think they turned out ok for a first try. I learned quite a bit so I think my next round will be better.

The first one is a panorama made up of 5 shots stitched together. There were a few areas that didn't stitch together as nicely as Id like. I tried to fix it but I think probably just traded one imperfection for another. This was shot on my Sony A6000 with 55-210mm telephoto kit lens. f16/30sec

This second one was is a 5 image 32 bit merged HDR shot with my Canon 70D and 16-35mm wide angle f16/1 stop bracket from 20 seconds.

I am anxious for another go at it if anyone wants to join me.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those are amazing photos! I wish I could take shots like that with my camera.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm a couple of weeks away from the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 lens, once I get that maybe we can go shoot at night. I'd love the help before heading to Bryce Canyon in April!

I am game to go shoot with you. Panos take a bit of practice. Do the Sony's have a grid you can turn on in the viewfinder? I find that can be very helpful in shooting them as you can line things up at exact points for overlaps.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;n638685 said:
I'm a couple of weeks away from the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 lens, once I get that maybe we can go shoot at night. I'd love the help before heading to Bryce Canyon in April!

Sweet! Let me know! Looks like the next new moon before April is Tues March 8th which is perfect for me as I have always have Mon and Tuesday off.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
daskibum;n638724 said:
I am game to go shoot with you. Panos take a bit of practice. Do the Sony's have a grid you can turn on in the viewfinder? I find that can be very helpful in shooting them as you can line things up at exact points for overlaps.
That would be awesome! just let me know when you are available.

I think it does have a grid. I know my canon does. Honestly the only reason I used the Sony for the pano was because I wanted to see how it does in low light conditions and the only decent piece of glass I have right now for it is that zoom. The biggest issue I had with it was where it stiched together the light trails on I-25. There was enough difference in the level of traffic or something that there was definitely brighter trails from one pic to the next. So while everything else was stiched together flawlessly Im not sure the software new what to do there. I could be wrong but I dont think the grid would help in that situation. It just bothers me because right in the middle of I-25 in two places there was a very distinct line that if blown up would drive me insane. I am guessing there is an easy way to fix it in PS I just dont know how (yet).

I used the new Lightroom CC Merge to Panaorama feature to do it. Perhaps other programs would handle this situation better, but I do like the function otherwise and think in most other pano situation it would be perfect.

You can see in this segment here what I mean. I tried for hours to fix this in PS cc and ultimatley gave up of with this smear effect which like I said was just trading one flaw for another. The varience in color and exposure is still there its just not a straight line anymore. Do you know the best way to try to fix something like this in PS?

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris, those photos are fantastic! They would look great as canvas prints and i bet the issue you saw wouldn't be noticeable at all.

That would be a hard thing to fix. I am not a PS expert, but I would think a cut of the lights on one side, paste, opacity change and slowly try to blend together would be your best bet, but it would not be easy.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Oh my wow Kris!!!! Those pictures are insane!!!!!! Maybe we an catch up at Reef Stock I have an idea of a MASC Logo Branding that I would love to have a denver skyline backdrop on.

rjl45

Clown Fish
All are very nice, but I agree 2nd downtown is the best of the 3. Really like the contrast between the dark blue and bright oranges and greens.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk