Dino!!! advise please.

So this morning I'm pretty sure I saw the start of a dinoflagalletes problem. I was looking around in there with flashlight, and saw a couple of bubbles being constrained by some greenish/brownish stuff, probably an inch or so long, coming from one of the topmost rocks. I googled around a little, and decided that it looked like dino. By the time I looked again, the bubbles and greenish/brownish stuff was gone. Now that the lights are on, I can see a little on the rock and a couple of very small bubbles. I have only found it there so far.

While researching it this morning, somewhere in all the suggestions for fighting this, was a suggestion to dip the rock in fresh water. I haven't been able to locate any additional info on this idea, but it seems like that would be an easy and good place to start. Nothing is permanently attached to my rocks yet, corals anyways, so I could remove that rock easily.

Your thoughts? I'll snap a pic for positive ID if it comes back out.

Some info: this tank was setup for at least 9 months before I got it.
BioCube 29 gallon, de-rimmed
DIY led fixture (not by me, came with tank), probably 30w, blue/white equal, on for about 10 hours. 2 small blue moon lights on 24h/day.
Aquatic Life 115 skimmer in chamber 1
1L Seachem Matrix, 1 cup Matrix Carbon (3 weeks old), and some sponges in chamber 2, water flows through blue/white filter media first.
MJ1200 and some Purigen in chamber 3
Koralia 425 blowing into the rock pile
Sand bed and a decent amount of LR
CUC consists of a skunk cleaner, maybe 3 hermits, 1 nassarius snail, one Astraea, some stomatellas, and the usual bristle worms and pods.

I ran some PhosGuard in there 2 weeks ago, and phosphate levels seem to be steady at around .03.
I'll update with current numbers, but parameters are usually; PH 8, Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrates coming down (40 from 80; they've always been kinda high?), Salinity 1.026.

All the corals have come from the same tank (he has not reported any dino), with the exception of some dragon's breath I got last weekend.
Some brown algae on sand bed.

25% water changes weekly, RO/DI, 0 TDS, IO salt. I lightly disturb the top of the sand with a baster every 2nd or third water change, and blow out the rocks.
3 BG Chromis, fed daily, freeze dried Cyclop-Eeze and New Era flake. They seem to nab most of it off the surface before it sinks.

Let me know if I left something out. I want to nab this before I'm forced to employ all the other dino weapons (kalkwasser, blackout, etc...)

Thanks.

Updated numbers:
PH 8.4 (not sure why, it's always been 8?)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 (Sweet! it's coming down!)

Thanks.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I think you should just keep an eye on it for now, document and photograph if you can, but try and jus keep the tank stable for now, a good many Dino's are beneficial so you would need a very clear identification and diagnose before attempting any treatment, especially ones that may do more harm then good.

I'll keep an eye on it for sure, thanks. I wasn't aware that there were good ones?
I was looking specifically for H2o dosing information. Thought that would be a safer start than h2o2.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Definitely check out that thread. Dipping the rock in fresh water would send you through a whole nother cycle as it would kill any organisms in the rock and beneficial bacteria.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
From my personal experience... I kinda let it get out of hand and had to go with h2o2 dozing and blackout. It worked for me but I was definitely nervous about dozing that stuff. I have a mixed reef and none of the corals were harmed by it. It did wipe out my pods population though. Snails, nems, shrimp, crabs were all ok. Again this is just my personal experience following the info that I found on RC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll definitely do more reading on the subject. I haven't seen any long strands of the stuff since the one on Sunday morning, only a small brown patch with some very small bubbles.

To clarify, I wouldn't be dipping all of my rock in H2o, just the one that I've seen it on. You think I would cycle again from dipping one rock? I also have a liter of Matrix in the second chamber. Definitely something to consider.

Thanks for the advise.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
As stated above, keep an eye on it. If they havent gone away on their own in a couple weeks you may need to take some corrective action (I would recommend the kalk approach IMO since it helps your coral grow faster and dinos cant handle higher pH tanks). However, I would suspect that you are just experiencing a mini cycle since there was likely some dieoff from the move, different flow patterns, and your feeding regiment is probably different from the previous tank)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a turbo snail?