Docs apex adventure

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I bit the bullet and did made the stupid decision to get the apex. Needless to say I am excited and a bit scared. Frankly, after looking at the install instructions my head hurts! Lol

I do want to send a thanks Vince at great white for helping me out!

Here's what I got... Will be asking for a lot of help I think

The apex with standard ph
An extra energy bar 8
Long Aqua bus cable

I would like to put the display next to the tank with an energy bar under the stand for lights and such. Then, run the aquabus cable to my sump area in my basement and to the second eb8 as well as the brain thing. I am planning on connection directly to my router for the initial set up (scary crap.) with my long azz Ethernet cable as my router is on the second story. Once I get the timers up and running as well as the ph controller basic set up going I'd like to use a wireless adaptor for access from my phone or I pad. Any assistance would surely be appreciated. Please note that I am a novice at the tech stuff and feel more comfortable welding or behind a potters wheel than a computer so be gentle. The last thing I need is to feel even more ignorant than I already do! Haha lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I did the initial setup on mine, I just plugged the brain part and display into the wall right by my router and then moved them to the tank when I got it all configured and good to go with wifi.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
One thing I was freaked out about was finding the IP address as well as the netmask. I think I know where to look in the menus of my mac now. I wish I had it at home tonight.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think one of the most important things to know that I did not find out until it was too late was that only 2 of the outlets on the EB8 can deal with low amperage items (e.g. solenoids). on the EB4, all outlets are good for that purpose...

Shawn

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
sethsolomon;353022 said:
Mike, let me know if you want help setting it up.
Dude, I'd be glad to have you. I have has others offer as well. Hoping I don't need it. The more I search around the more I realize that the fusion sounds pretty user friendly. I hope so. In any case, what are you doing Tuesday after 5ish? I think I am picking up the controller on Monday and doing the hardware setup that evening. Would love to have someone around that has set up the network stuff when I do it on Tuesday. I did get 100 feet of cat5 cable for the initial setup and firmware update. Once that's done I have a netgear wireless adaptor I'd like to set up. I think I need to pick an address for that to avoid dropped connections but not sure.

So, what ha doing Tuesday eve?

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
szavoda;353045 said:
I think one of the most important things to know that I did not find out until it was too late was that only 2 of the outlets on the EB8 can deal with low amperage items (e.g. solenoids). on the EB4, all outlets are good for that purpose...

Shawn
I didn't realize the eb4 had all solid stare relays. Ooh well, I think I'll be ok anyhow. Thanks

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
On a funny note, my wife asked what I spent! I told her "you didn't want to know"! She said "good call" lol

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;353073 said:
On a funny note, my wife asked what I spent! I told her "you didn't want to know"! She said "good call" lol
Another good answer to that is, "Less than you did for (insert relevant item here), because it was on sale at 40% off, thanks to I knew the shop owner, so he cut me a helluva deal. Otherwise it would've cost $xyz, but I didn't want to pay full price."

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
FinsUp!;353075 said:
Another good answer to that is, "Less than you did for (insert relevant item here), because it was on sale at 40% off, thanks to I knew the shop owner, so he cut me a helluva deal. Otherwise it would've cost $xyz, but I didn't want to pay full price."
But my wife is super frugal so... She really doesn't spend much$!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;353071 said:
Dude, I'd be glad to have you. I have has others offer as well. Hoping I don't need it. The more I search around the more I realize that the fusion sounds pretty user friendly. I hope so. In any case, what are you doing Tuesday after 5ish? I think I am picking up the controller on Monday and doing the hardware setup that evening. Would love to have someone around that has set up the network stuff when I do it on Tuesday. I did get 100 feet of cat5 cable for the initial setup and firmware update. Once that's done I have a netgear wireless adaptor I'd like to set up. I think I need to pick an address for that to avoid dropped connections but not sure.

So, what ha doing Tuesday eve?
Tuesday works for me.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm about to start the same adventure Doc. I have never used any controllers and have been saving up for months to go all out on the Apex. Hope everything works out for you. Any feedback you have based on your experiences would be much appreciated.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Shaunv;353125 said:
I'm about to start the same adventure Doc. I have never used any controllers and have been saving up for months to go all out on the Apex. Hope everything works out for you. Any feedback you have based on your experiences would be much appreciated.
I'll let everyone know. My decision was based on lack of service from DA. They have still not contacted me with questions from last week. Neptune called me and answered several questions. They also have a very active community of users on their forum. They have comparability with older controllers and are innovative. I also like the computer and phone compatibility. The biggest thing for me is the customer service.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got the Netgear WNCE2001 WiFi adapter off Amazon refurbished for $25 and it works great. It's not a range extender, just a wifi to Ethernet adapter.