Drain flushing

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any late night guys out there? Setting up a new tank and can't seem to find a balance with my water level in the return section of my sump and the drain.
I have a rio 2500 as a my pump going to the tank with 3/4" vinyl tubing.
Drain is the "reef ready" durso stand pipe. Never can seem to get these right. It's draining a 1" vinyl pipe.
2 issues:
1) the drain never stops, there's always a small trickle. I had isssues with this "wier guard" that modified the level of water in the tank so I took that off but there's always a small trickle in the standpipe.
2) I can't seem to find the sweet spot for water. There's either too little or too much and I come close to flooding over the sump.
Thoughts?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I've read water level should be more at the t and not where it's at?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There's a hole the size of airline tubing in the top. I've made the hole bigger as the noise won't matter much, just want it working for now.
Level in the return drops to the top of the pump but is maintaining that level with te bigger hole.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drain flushing

Finally got it figured out.
Here's my new max level line for when I pull the plug and pull the durso standpipe out.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you need to hard plumb your overflow to the sump or use spa flex. Otherwise you are just asking for flooding. As for the pump, you need to add a ball valve on the return line and dial it back a bit. Must be a bit too much pump for the return.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unless that hose clamp is titanium its going to rust out and potentially fail or at the very least release metals into the tank you may not want. I would suggest a plastic step lock hose clamp instead.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;353559 said:
you need to hard plumb your overflow to the sump or use spa flex. Otherwise you are just asking for flooding. As for the pump, you need to add a ball valve on the return line and dial it back a bit. Must be a bit too much pump for the return.
Working on the plans to pvc the return and drain lines. I have unions at each 90* and a union for the return pump. Do I use a union on the bulkhead or should I attach a short length of pvc with glue to the bulkhead and then add a union?

Adding a gate valve to the return line to divert back into the sump. I'm assuming I use a T off of the main return line (vertical) so that the T runs horizontal and runs back into the sump?

Thanks - I've never used pvc before and trying to get as much info as possible on the front end before I buy the wrong thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Should I cement pvc to the return pump with a union above or try to match the union to the pvc?