Evolution Lighting LEDs

I picked up a setup with 2 Evolution Lighting LED fixtures. They each have to cords and a red push switch. I am assuming they are gen 1 or 2. Does anyone have experience with these lights? I would like to find a use for them, are they ok for Zoa's and LPS? Fuge light?

I currently have a 80 gallon shallow reef. I would like to do a mixed reef with SPS. My lighting options right now are a 48" 4 bulb T5, a 48" Aquaspacelight x 250 MH or the 2 Evos. I'm concerned with power usage in the MH. Right now I have the T5 on there. I have also consider a single 250 MH with 2 LEd fixtures to supplement.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you should be good with the 2 Evos and if you need to you can supplement with MH or T5. Don't think you'll be growing any clams on the bottom with just the two Evos but should be fine with Zoas on the sand.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ran three over my 150 and thought they were fantastic! Grew sps and large nems with no problem

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lowenbrau;368152 said:
Did you end up replacing them?
I actually sold then entire system when I moved. I think the evos are a great bang for your buck. I never supplemented them with other lighting

In the world of Chinese LEDs, does it make sense to get the full spectrum controllable and dimming units? My tank is 4', I'm assuming 2 units with spreads of roughly 2' x 2'

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you have the Evos already I would run those plus 4 - 4' (54w) T5 bulbs (2each side of leds running length wise). I run the LED and T5 combo and get great growth and color. I have SPS, lps, a tear drop clam and well .... a few Zoas.

reefkoi

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
We played around with new evos full spectrum and lots of different combos of them and the old Gen 1 -3 were my favorite with blue/14k white ratio of 3:1 I had no problem keepin clams alive but they grew huge as well and Sps thrived so as long as they look bright still which most of them do despite not having the secondary optics on them

My tank is 16 in high, since they aren't adjustable, how high should they be hung above water level? Mixed reef with SPS up top