Fuge leds

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's everyone using as far as LEDs to light their fuge? I grow macros in mine and occasionally a frag or two for awhile. They have done great under my panorama pro but its now down to 3 LEDs working. So what do you recommend? I really don't want to replace if every year cause that's all it lasted. If I dim it will it last longer?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As you know I run a 120w evo on mine and can keep anything I need and want down there :D

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a 30w PAR 38 with 10 red and 5 blue LEDs...prob not optimal for coral though :p

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;258038 said:
You could build your own. they are pretty easy to do.
Yea I have built a couple I have one over my frag tank just under a time crunch.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;258039 said:
I use a 30w PAR 38 with 10 red and 5 blue LEDs...prob not optimal for coral though :p
Ill look into that, I have a frag tank so no reason to keep coral down there anymore lol. How do you shield your skimmer from getting light? My skimmer is next to the fuge and with the panorama pro its no biggie cause the reflector.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried a cfl and had issues with light hitting the skimmer...and got diatoms fairly quickly. The bulb I have uses optics that are probably somewhere from 60-90 degrees. I just have it mounted so that the light falls off significantly before reaching the skimmer compartment. There's some light spill for sure...but not enough to cause issues. There's definitely a "spotlight" on the fuge.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I run a 26 watt no name chinese LED, mostly white with one red LED. I gorw all kinds of macros, and my live rock in my fuge has coraline growing on it as well.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;258047 said:
I run a 26 watt no name chinese LED, mostly white with one red LED. I gorw all kinds of macros, and my live rock in my fuge has coraline growing on it as well.
Where did you get it?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;258046 said:
I tried a cfl and had issues with light hitting the skimmer...and got diatoms fairly quickly. The bulb I have uses optics that are probably somewhere from 60-90 degrees. I just have it mounted so that the light falls off significantly before reaching the skimmer compartment. There's some light spill for sure...but not enough to cause issues. There's definitely a "spotlight" on the fuge.
Where did you get it?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use par30 led in the 5000k-6500k color.. Walmart and Lowes carry them. Around $30 each. Can find them on ebay or amazon too.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
What Smiley said those are awesome and id wager would grow coral if i felt like it

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
BPreefer;258082 said:
How about an evo slim? Give reef koi a ring.
Evo slim would be good but only white or blue available. I may just go DIY route and do 4 red 2 blue and 2 natural white what does everyone think about that combo. I know I can only drive them all at the highest the LEDs are rated for which would be the reds the lowest.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have a fuge yet. But when I do, I am thinking of using maybe the Mighty Ray led light. It's cheap ~$18

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;258074 said:
I use par30 led in the 5000k-6500k color.. Walmart and Lowes carry them. Around $30 each. Can find them on ebay or amazon too.
I am buying a fuge light tonight, thanks for the thread and suggestion.