Fuzzy film problem

Pretty new to the hobby. I started a reef tank about 6 months ago an every thing was looking good until about a month ago. My rocks started turning dark brown almost black in the areas my light hit directly.which is pretty much every where. Any one no whats going on. The fuzzy film is pretty stuck on the rocks and spreading fast.heres what I got to help with answers if any one can help I'd apricate it. -------92rr bowfront
40g sump with fuge
2 sets of baffels stuffed with blue filter pads
4inch sand bed in fuge
550gph return
coralife 65g hob skimmer
2 750gph powerheads
120 pounds dry rock start
2-150w mh 2-96w cf atanic
2" sand bed
Couple different kinds of macro algae in refuge
1 blue throat trigger
2 clowns
2 chromosome
8 snails
8 crabs
shrimp
several different hard and soft corals

Can anyone help? Bout to Tare it down. Very frustrating.

Don't really check that often. I know I should but I use RO water and do a ten gallon water change once a month. Still new at this. I bought one of those reef test kits with the test tubes but only used it once. Would doing the tests help you with your answear? My first thought was more water movement.bigger return pump?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
First take some water to the local fish store, LFS, and have it tested. Depending on the test will determine what you need to do next. In the mean time start doing 5 gallon water changes every 2 days. Bigger if you can. How big is the tank?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
when you're dealing with a tank as new as yours, regular testing and weekly water changes are essential. The need for water changes won't decrease over time. Using RO is great, but I'd also test for phosphates, just in case the filters need changed.

It's a 92 bow front. And I've only done two 10 gallon water changes since November.that film is really on there good. U guys think it'll just fall off with water changes?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do 10% water changes weekly.

Given you're close to 150 gallons, you should be doing 15 gallons a week, or 30 every 2 weeks.

Yes, definitely get your water tested, tomorrow. That's gonna tell you where you're at.

I see these beautiful tanks with great color on the rocks and I look at my almost black rocks with this hairy film on them drives me nuts. Ill start frequent water changes first thing tomorrow an see what happens. Would rodi water help as opposed to just RO. And you think a 550g return pump is enough for a 150 gallon system with almost a 4' head height enough?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Start with a water test tomorrow, then a water change. You kinda need a baseline before you start making lots of changes...

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;227171 said:
Start with a water test tomorrow, then a water change. You kinda need a baseline before you start making lots of changes...
+1. Don't throw equipment at it just yet. Water chemistry needs to get straightened out first, then start looking at flow issues, lighting, skimming, etc.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Fuzzy film problem

What kind of "dry rock" was it? Was it cleaned dry rock or dry, dead, live rock that wasn't cleaned properly? Black film with what looks like fungus makes me think of die off/decay on the rock of what at one time was alive.
Seems too dark and late in the game to be a diatom bloom. Algae that has died off? Cyano sp.?

I would imagine your water test won't be good. But definitely get that checked. And I would start doing water changes now too.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hang in there, tanks do funky things for during first year or so, and you never stop learning better tricks to manage and/or improved husbandry. I would check wetwebmedia.com to ID what this is, if you can. The way you describe it, it does sound like cyanobacteria (aka blue-green algae). Does it slough off the rocks if you touch or suction it? At this point, your tank is rich in nutrients for this growth. You just have to figure out how to eliminate the nutrients (solve source issue), while trying to contain it, and it will go away.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have no idea what that could be. I had something similar to that going on when I had a 3g pico, I would scrub and do water changes, but it would always come back. I ended up dipping the rock in h2o2. I never used it again, so I don't know if that worked or not. My best guess is that the rock is leaching something, causing whatever the "fuzzy film" is to grow.

I'd def go to WWM, if you can't find the answer, ask them a question.