Grape Caulerpa Gone Sexual?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So today I got a call from the librarian saying that the water was all cloudy and there was water on the carpet. The water was a result of the protein skimmer going crazy. I think the grape caulerpa that I was giving away this past weekend had gone sexual. The water was in fact cloudy when I got down there. A bunch of the caulerpa had turned white. Is that what it looks like when it goes sexual? I will try to post pictures before I pull the rock out and do a huge water change.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya it did go sexual. Remove all the stuff that has gone white and do a water change if you can

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I am going to pull the whole rock and pull as much as I can off. I will start with 25 gallons and do 50 if I have time and my RO can supply me with 25 more.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Yesterday I did a water change, cleaned the skimmer, and pulled out most of what was left. Today the tank was clear. I haven't tested nitrates or phosphates, but I think the nutrient load in this tank is higher anyway so I am not really worried. I also took the time to cut back the c. taxifolia in feeder fuge to be on the safe side.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad to hear the tank has cleared. Sorry Mike, I wasn't trying to make light of your situation. Do you think I should pull out the cluster of algae that I got at reefstock?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'd say it will be fine if you have he lights on 24 hours but you may want to be careful. I've never had my taxifolia go like many do but the growth rate on the grape has been off the charts. Your joke was funny I liked it on the forum.