Hannah checker advice

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What's the difference between the low range and high range phosphate checker. I want to start to monitor my phosphate in a more real way but not sure which checker to get.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
High Plains Reefer;344270 said:
you want the low range it reads to a lower level
I bought the phosphorus Ultra low range. You might want to google the reasoning behind phosphorus vs phosphate, before you buy.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Thanks all! Just ordered the ultra low range. $42.50 shipped Amazon.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a bunch of packets too... it only comes with a few.

They can be tricky to test with at first. You need to make sure that the vials are TOTALLY clean after you add the water and packet to them - spots will send the results all over the place. I use both of the vials - one for tank water and one with the powder in it that has mixed for 3-5 minutes. I run them 4 or 5 times and take the average reading. Mine typically goes something like this, for example: 12, 8, 12, 13 and then maybe 10. ...so I call that 10 or 11.

1 or 2 is NSW at .005, BTW. I am happy at 2 or 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So it looks like I'm at about 8 PPB. I need to get it down a bit more. Seems like about triple what it should be.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Watch the coralline growth and calcification explode when you do get it down. Probably a good idea to have the alk at/near NSW levels too.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;344550 said:
Watch the coralline growth and calcification explode when you do get it down. Probably a good idea to have the alk at/near NSW levels too.
Alk is about 8 so that's good. My assumption was that I had phosphate issues as I have algae on the glass quickly and some cyano on the sand. Coral color has gotten better with the use of GFO. I would imagine that the levels have come down in the past month. I was dosing carbon and that worked but was expensive in the form I was using. The goal would be to get the tank to take care of itself but the dry rock is taking longer than I care to wait. I now know I can use a bit more GFO without worry. Coralline algae has taken off in the past 2 weeks. Getting hard to keep off the glass.