Heater won't stay to temp

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a jäger 100 watt heater on my 30 that is currently controlled by my reefkeeper. I want to put the reef keeper on my new 65 setup next week and have been trying to gets tank to b stable using the itemp probe and alarms on the temp so I can adjust the heater accordingly.
So far it's not dialed in after a few days if this. Any other suggestions? It's mainly going over, I have alarms for 80.5 and 78.5.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just for clarification, the heater isn't plugged into the reefkeeper just using it to monitor the temp so I can switch the reefkeeper to the new tank and know this ones temp is stable.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If that is the case then I would say the thermostat on the jäger is not exactly stable. I would view a log of the temp and see how far up and down it goes. If it is too drastic then you might want to get a new heater with a more accurate internal thermostat

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's supposed to b accurate to 0.5+- and I got it last year. I might run it against another one to see if it's the heater.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Like I said, if you can pull a log from the rke(never owned one) you can just check to see if it's staying within a 1 degree ish range. If it's not then the problem is the heater, if it does stay within a close range, then it might just not be set to the right temp

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You sure that you house is not getting so warm that the tank is heating up? Is the heater actually on when it is 80.5?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found my directions to the heater, it's supposed to be calibrated to a true temp before use. Blue ring adjusts temp, red ring moves and isn't fixed as I thought.
No wonder I needed a controller to keep a steady temp....*facepalm*